head in the clouds

SEPTEMBER, 1998

SEPTEMBER, 1998.

Sim Jaeyun has an allure that I can't quite decipher, something that makes him stand out from the rest.

Maybe it's the way he stands there, a study in stillness, as the light of the sun caresses his face, highlighting every perfect angle and curve. Perhaps it's the soft, ethereal glow of his blazer that reflects off the ceiling, casting a gentle radiance around him. Or it could be the way his hair shines like spun gold, a halo of light that surrounds him. But no, it's his eyes. God, there's always something about his eyes that makes it impossible to look away.

"Kazu? Nagasaki Kazu, are you listening?" Ms Kim, my homeroom teacher, snaps her fingers in front of my face. I quickly glance back down at her, realising where I am. The teacher's office. I've been called back to discuss my behaviour.

"Sorry," I say, looking down at my feet.

Ms Kim sighs. "You really need to get that head of yours out of the clouds. You're an exceptional student with outstanding grades in your classwork, but you're distracted. Although you're doing well academically, you're not paying attention in class, and it's affecting your ability to learn and grow. We need to find strategies that can help you stay on task and make the most of your abilities. I believe that with your potential, you could achieve so much more."

I try to pay attention, I really do. However, Ms Kim is going on and on about how "stress" and "home life" can play a major factor in this. I've heard this lecture many times since I've come to this school. Just as I look up, I see Jaeyun bow to the teacher and make his way out of the teacher's room.

"Kazu!" Ms Kim drops a stack of paper onto her desk, the loud thud making me jump in place. She opens her mouth, and I prepare myself for another lecture, but then the bell rings. I let out a breath. Ms Kim sighs again, rubbing her temples. "We'll talk about this another time. For now, hurry up and go to class."

I bow, bidding goodbye to Ms Kim.

My heart races as I leave the teacher's room and scan the hallway for Jaeyun. I see him in the distance, still walking towards his classroom. He's moving slowly, taking his time, despite the chaos of students running around him. I try to match his gait, walking at the same time with him, whilst keeping my distance. I don't want to seem too eager, but I can't help myself. There's something about Jaeyun that makes me act like this.

As I get closer, I feel a hand grab my arm and pull me into a corner. My back hits the wall, and the familiar scent of vanilla makes my lips curl up into a smile.

"Sunghoon," I say, wrapping my arms around his neck. "What are you doing –"

"Wait," he whispers, looking around cautiously before placing a gentle kiss on my lips. "I've missed you," he murmurs.

I chuckle at his clinginess. "It's not my fault we're in different classes. But I'll see you at lunch, okay?"

"That's too long." Sunghoon's lips move from the corner of my mouth to my cheekbone, then to my forehead. I remain silent, and he leans down to meet my gaze. "It's fine though. I'll wait for you."

I smile. "I know."

The warning bell goes off. Sunghoon straightens up and places his hands on my shoulders. He nudges me out of the corner. "Alright, time for you to go to class. Don't want you to be late."

"What about you?"

"I'm busy," he laughs. "Student council errands to take care of."

I can't help but roll my eyes. I expect no less from Park Sunghoon, always-busy with student council president stuff, especially at the start of a new semester.

He pushes me forward, and waves at me. "See you later."

I wave back before turning on my heels. With fewer students in the hallways now, I quicken my pace. But when I reach Jaeyun's classroom, I slow down. There he is, sitting at the back, beside the window, engrossed in a book. The sight of him stirs something within me, and for a moment, I can't help but wonder what it would feel like to sit beside someone like him. The thought of being alone with him, isolated from the rest of the world, in the quiet of the classroom is both thrilling and terrifying.

Shaking my head, I turn away from the sight of him and continue down the hallway. I wonder what he was reading.

 I wonder what he was reading