expectant eyes

"How was your day today?"

I look up from my plate and see my grandparents looking at me with expectant eyes, waiting for me to answer. I grab my water and drink it, swallowing the food that was lodged in my throat. "It was okay."

"Just okay?" Nana asks, sharing a look with Nanny. "Nothing else?"

Talking about my feelings became a regular conversation between us, particularly during dinner. Before moving in with them, I wasn't the type to openly express my emotions to anyone. My grandparents, however, were worried about me and tried various things to encourage me to open up, but to no avail. They even considered bringing me to a professional to address my "issue." This was the turning point that prompted me to start sharing more about myself and my day with them.

I clear my throat and consider what to share. "Well, every day is the same, right? Classes were alright, but I have a ton of homework to get through this week. Oh, I ran into Eunchae, Sunghoon, and Yunjin today though. So, it was nice to catch up with them," I say, noticing Nana's disapproving expression at the mention of Sunghoon. He's never been keen on the idea of me dating him, but he never explains why. "I also made a new friend today. His name is Sunoo, and he transferred to my class." I avoid mentioning the morning discussion with Ms Kim and the flower pot incident.

"Transferred?" Nana raises an eyebrow. "This late in the year –"

"That's wonderful, Kazu!" Nanny exclaims, clapping her hands together. "What's he like?"

"He's really nice and funny. We have a lot in common."

"Oh, you should definitely invite him and the others over to our house sometime, especially Sunghoon!" she says enthusiastically. "I'd be happy to cook for them!"

"Of course," I say, smiling. "One day."