dream-like kiss

OCTOBER, 1998

OCTOBER, 1998

I search through the library shelves, hoping to find "Fate of the Fallen." I haven't finished reading it yet, and I was disappointed when Mr Zhang said detention was over and I had to go home. Reluctantly, I returned the book, but now it's been almost 20 minutes, and I'm still standing in the Fantasy aisle, scanning the shelves for any sign of the book. I search high and low, scouring every inch, but it's nowhere to be found.

I stop, place my hands on my hips, and release a sigh of frustration. No matter how much I look, I can't find it. I glance at my wristwatch to check the time. It's 2:30 PM, which means only 15 minutes remaining for Independent Study. As I ponder my next move, a thought crosses my mind. What if someone took it out?

I head over to the information desk. A friendly young woman notices me and stops typing on her computer, greeting me with a bright smile. "Hi, how can I help you?"

"Could you help me find a book? I'm looking for Fate of the Fallen by JS."

I watch as the lady diligently types on her computer, my fingers tapping impatiently on the wooden desk. When she finishes, she furrows her brows and starts typing again. Without realising it, I lean my head forward, curious about what she's doing. Suddenly, she looks up, and I realise I'm too close to her face. Embarrassed, I quickly backed up, noticing her confused expression. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't locate the book you're searching for. Is there anything else I can assist you with?"

"No, that's alright," I reply, putting on a smile to hide my disappointment. "Thank you for helping me."

Realising there's not much I can do, I decide to leave the library. I feel a bit guilty for asking Sunoo to cover for me in case the teacher comes while I go search for the book.

Walking down the hallway, I spot my history classroom. I consider asking Mr Zhang about the book. However, just as the idea forms, I halt outside his door. Mr Zhang is engaged in a lively discussion with his students.

I let out a sigh.

Deciding it's time to head to class, I turn around and suddenly collide into something solid. A guy. The impact sends me stumbling back, but his hands quickly steady me. Opening my eyes, I find myself face-to-face with Jaeyun. He looks down at me, a hint of surprise in his expression. As our eyes lock, the world around us fades away –

Our bodies press together as our lips lock in a fervent kiss. My arms find their way around his neck, pulling him closer to me, as he reciprocates by encircling my waist with his strong arms.

His hands skilfully weave through my hair, sending shivers down my spine with every delicate touch. As our mouths mingle, his lips caress mine with a tenderness that is both intoxicating and urgent. The taste of him on my tongue is like a burst of honey, flooding my senses with an overwhelming ecstasy.

Each touch, each movement, sends sparks flying through my veins. In that moment, nothing else matters; it's just him and me, lost in a world created solely for the two of us.

"Kazu," in a breathless whisper, he calls my name. He draws me closer and tilts his head to deepen the kiss. I can't get enough of him and never want to stop. His warmth envelops me, radiating from his body and seeping into my very core. I want to stay here, just like this, forever.

The familiar sound of bells reverberates in my ear once more, but I tune them out. I reluctantly pull back from him, ever so slightly, trying to regain a semblance of control. I whisper his name, "Jaeyun –"

– I blink, and the dream-like kiss vanishes, bringing the rest of the world back into focus. A sudden pang of pain pierces my chest, causing me to instinctively push Jaeyun away, perhaps with more force than intended. Feeling embarrassed, I avert my gaze and place a hand on my chest, attempting to catch my breath. My heart races erratically beneath my touch.

"Kazu," he whispers, his voice carrying my name. He knows me. He said my name. My heart soars to the moon, leaving me behind.

What the –

I –

No.

"Sorry," I say as I swiftly manoeuvre past him and make a break for it, feeling a shiver run down my spine. I can sense Jaeyun's gaze on me, even without looking back. I rush into the nearest restroom and lean against the tiled wall, taking a moment to catch my breath.

This isn't happening. This can't be happening.

 This can't be happening