chunguk high

(NOTE: Chunguk is pronounced as CHUNG-GUK)

as CHUNG-GUK)

Chunguk High, established in 1905, started as an all-boys school but later became co-ed in the 1980s. The campus has several buildings, including a three-story grey brick structure of the main building, a unique bell tower, and fantastic sports facilities. Chunguk prides itself on creating a warm and welcoming community with events that promote inclusivity and school spirit, such as pep rallies, cultural festivals, community service projects, and student-led clubs.

As Sunoo and I head towards the lunchroom, he can't help but chuckle at the sight of the white and blue banners adorning the ceilings and posters plastered all over the lockers and classroom doors. "Aim for the stars? Fly higher, dream bigger, at Chunguk High? Where the sky's the limit? Wow, you guys are really hell-bent on the heaven thing, huh?"

"It's our headmaster," I say, laughing. "Literally, every assembly with him is a never-ending speech about striving to achieve your dreams and reaching for the stars."

"Sounds overwhelming."

"Tell me about it."

When we entered the lunchroom, I was immediately hit by the smell of sweat and food hanging in the air. The humidity from outside blended in, making the air thick and heavy. The tables were crowded with students, and the noise level was deafening. I try to push through it, but it's making me lose my appetite.

I glance around, and spot Sunghoon and Hong Eunchae sitting at our usual table. Sunghoon waves me over, but I pause in my steps. I turn back and see Sunoo looking lost. With a smile, I ask, "Do you want to sit with us?"

Sunoo looks relieved, "Sure."

When we reached the table, I apologised to Sunghoon, "Sorry, I would've been here sooner, but I got caught up in something." He awkwardly chuckles and looks at me, as if expecting an explanation for my new friend. "Oh, right! Sorry," I laugh, "Guys, this is Kim Sunoo. He's new here." I turn to Sunoo. "Sunoo, this is Park Sunghoon and Hong Eunchae."

Smiling, they all introduced themselves to each other. Eunchae leans in closer to Sunoo, her eyes widening as she admires his smile. "Your smile is really pretty."

"Thanks," he chuckles. "I hear that a lot."

I watch as he gets his lunch out from his bag. He and Eunchae chat over their food, comparing their lunches. I can't help but smile, knowing they'll get along fine.

Sunghoon nudges me, and I look up at him. He offers me his sandwich, but I shake my head. I notice the empty seat in front of me and look around the lunchroom, scanning the lines. "Hey, where's Yunjin?"

"Um, I think Yunjin said she was going to the music room," Eunchae says, plopping a baby tomato in her mouth.

"Oh." I wonder what she's up to. Since our final year started, I rarely see her. It doesn't help that Yunjin moved to a different class, while I'm still stuck in the same old one. Sunghoon gently takes my hand and I glance up to see him smiling at me. I smile back and flip my hand over, intertwining our fingers.

"Are you guys dating?" Sunoo asks.

We both turn to him and I feel my cheeks flush. I look at Sunghoon, waiting for him to respond. He clears his throat and I notice his ears turning red. "Yeah, we are."

"That's cute," Sunoo smiles and leans in, resting his head on his hand. "How long have you two dated?"

"Well –"

"Going strong for a year and a half," Eunchae interjects, and I laugh. She's a hopeless romantic who enjoys sharing the story of how long Sunghoon and I have been together. To her, we're a perfect match, a couple whose love story is straight out of a romance novel.

Suddenly, I look up and see Jaeyun turning away from my direction. I stop laughing, and my heart skips a beat. Was he looking at me?

He sits down with his friends, not too far from where I am. I find myself staring at his golden hair, feeling a sense of familiarity bloom inside me.

"Who's he?" Sunoo asks, following my gaze.

I clear my throat, about to answer, but Eunchae beats me to it. "That's Sim Jaeyun. He's in our year."

I feel Sunghoon's hand tighten around mine. "I'd stay away from him if I were you. Heard he's bad news," Sunghoon says.

I look away, and without thinking, I grab Sunghoon's sandwich and take a bite. Tasting the bread filling in my mouth, I realise how good it feels to eat something after feeling so nauseated. As I take another bite of his sandwich, a thought dawns on me: he looked at me.

 As I take another bite of his sandwich, a thought dawns on me: he looked at me