red umbrella

It's raining cats and dogs

Taking shelter at the entrance of the school, I lean my bike against the wall and become captivated by the mesmerising sight of rain cascading from the heavens above. Each droplet, heavy and relentless, dances in the air, creating a veil of mist that obscures my vision. I am immersed in this symphony of nature's fury, feeling the energy and power of the storm pulsating through the air.

Driven by curiosity, I extend my hand, wanting to feel the harshness of the droplets against my skin. Surprisingly, the rain cools my warm hands and body, providing a refreshing chill that envelops me. Despite the persistent warnings from Headmaster Oh and the student body throughout the day, I refuse to call my grandparents for a ride. I don't want to trouble them, especially in this weather.

I mentally kick myself for forgetting to grab my umbrella, even though I saw how grim the weather appeared earlier in the morning. Sure, the day started off gloomy, but who could've predicted such a drastic change in the weather? I never thought things would take a turn for the worse like this.

Out of nowhere, a crimson shadow engulfs my head and extended arm. I look up and see a red umbrella shielding me from above. Curiosity piques my interest, prompting me to turn and catch a glimpse of the person behind me. But the umbrella conceals their face, leaving me only with the sight of a sturdy, masculine hand gripping the umbrella's handle, veins standing out prominently. I shift my position, hoping to catch a better glimpse, but they still manage to stay hidden.

"Take this," a boy's voice utters, causing my heart to skip a beat. His voice sends tingles through the pit of my stomach. The boy forcefully pushes the umbrella towards me, causing me to stumble back on my bike. I hear the sound of footsteps fading away, splashing through puddles with each step. Hastily, I raise the umbrella, realising he's leaving. I squint my eyes, attempting to make out the person who gave me the umbrella. Perhaps it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but I manage to catch a glimpse of blonde hair before it disappears from my sight.

Lost in my fixation on the spot where the boy had been, my fingers tighten around the comforting warmth of the handle. Suddenly, a tap on my shoulder jolts me out of my reverie, causing me to startle. Quickly turning around, I come face to face with Yunjin, her expression filled with confusion. In her hand, she holds a vibrant yellow umbrella, a reminder that we were meant to walk home together. It completely slipped my mind. She chuckles at my surprise and asks, "Ready to go?"

"What? Oh," I quickly steal another glance at the pouring rain, struggling to see through it. I shift my focus back to Yunjin. "Yeah, let's go."