fate of the fallen

I stare at my hands in confusion, fingers twitching in a nervous rhythm

I can't help but think back to what Ms Kim said – that this keeps happening to me. Every time I'm confronted with fire, my mind goes blank and I'm frozen in place, unable to move or think clearly. I don't understand. Why does this keep happening to me? What is it about fire that triggers this response?

The doctors had warned me about this – the possibility of a trigger point that could send me spiralling back into the depths of my trauma. The accident from two years ago left me with emotional scars, and fire was the one thing that could always bring me back to that dark place.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. No, I can't let myself fall into that trap again. I shake my head, forcing the thoughts away and try to steady my trembling hands.

I glance up and see Mr Zhang, my history teacher, hunched over a stack of papers. I'm not sure if he's grading homework or exams. I'm the only one in this detention room. The only sounds in the room are the soft scribbling of his pen on paper and the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops against the window. Mr Zhang must have noticed me staring because he looks up and offers a sympathetic smile. I return the gesture, and he goes back to his work.

In front of me was a thick book, given to me by Mr Zhang, something to keep me busy whilst I serve my time. I pick it up and examine the dark blue cover, running my fingers over the intricate greyish-white lines that create a beautiful pattern. The title, Fate of the Fallen by JS, is written in bold white letters that stand out against the blue background.

Although I'm not sure why, I recognise this book. I think it's the same one Jaeyun was reading in the library earlier today. I flip through the pages until I find the first chapter. To my surprise, it's incredibly short – only one line. But that one line is enough to hook me instantly:

"Once upon a time,
an angel fell for a human
and chaos ensued."

DEAR  SEB ! I can't thank you enough for creating the character Mr Zhang! You may not know this, but Mr Zhang actually plays a crucial role in the story, and I genuinely appreciate your contribution

DEAR  SEB !
I can't thank you enough for creating the character Mr Zhang! You
may not know this, but Mr Zhang actually plays a crucial role in the
story, and I genuinely appreciate your contribution. Your help
literally means the world to me!