one

IT WAS ANOTHER hot sunny day in California

IT WAS ANOTHER hot sunny day in California. Valerie was working at the shop with Mia, while Dom was in the office looking at all the scattered paper work.

Business was never as good as the other places in California. No one ever stopped by unless they knew Dom. Expect for that one messy-haired blonde boy with the ocean blue eyes Valerie could almost drown in.

His name was Brian and he was a frequent customer, probably the only person keeping this business afloat. Valerie always looked forward to seeing him, he always knew how to make Valerie's shift better. Even if it was only for a little bit.

She anxiously flipped through a magazine as she waited for Brian. He usually showed up around 12:30 and gets his usual tuna sandwich, which nobody understood why he got it. Valerie had told him everyday that the tuna here is shit but he insisted on getting it anyways.. with no crust.

Val stared at one of the skinny models in the magazine, wishing that's what she looked like before the trauma from past experiences. Boys never really cared about Mia's or Val's feelings, they just wanted to get close to Dom, one time Val had told her (ex) boyfriend that Dom didn't even like him so she didn't know why he was trying so much.

That angered him which led to him slapping Val. She was so shell shocked that she just sat there and listened to all the horrible things he had said to her after, not knowing where to go since he was driving. One thing he said stuck with her throughout the whole year.

"No one's gonna love you, no one's gonna love Mia. They're all just doing it for Dom. If anyone did do it for you, they're insane. You're just a side piece that comes with Dom."

Of course she told Letty, who told Dom, who told Vince. Dom had given him the beating of his life and almost killed the man, it wasn't Doms first time almost killing somebody and definitely won't be his last. Especially if that somebody messes with his sisters.

It took almost everyone to get Dom off of Val's ex boyfriend, not wanting Dom to go back to jail. Val wouldn't have been abled to handle that, everyone knew it. Dominic was her rock, her protector, her brother, and most importantly her best friend. He would do anything for his two sisters and family in general.

Dom is what Vince tried to be, he was protecting but it got tiring for both Val and Mia. He wouldn't let any male species get near the girls, scared they were just like everybody else who got into their life. Most of the time, Val was thankful for Vince dodging all of the bullets for her. But at the same time she wanted to live her life and dodge her own bullets. Especially with Brian.

As she stared at the magazine, the sound of an engine caught her attention. She knew the sound of that engine well. Mia smiled at her sister before speaking, "Next customers yours. I'm busy back here." She joked as she pretended the shop was busy.

Valerie just went back to her magazine, not wanting to make it obvious that she was waiting for Brian to show up. He walked into the shop and sat down in his normal spot, waiting for Valerie to notice him. After a minute he cleared his throat, not wanting to waste any talking-to-Valerie time.