head in the clouds

ᴛᴡ ɪɴ ᴏᴘᴇɴɪɴɢ ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ɴᴏᴛᴇ

sapnap knows that he had probably been too anxious over the music project. he definitely internalised it too much, letting it get to him more than normal, letting it pick away at him until he was drained and done.

but all the long nights and tired days feel absolutely worth it when they tick off the last task, the project finished.

they've done all the proofreading and compiling and everything is done. in the end, it was actually completed before the final lesson, so sapnap got to spend that last hour reviewing it again.

though, he hardly got much checking done since, for the first time ever, george agreed to come too, so he actually spent most of the lesson quietly chatting with the brit and trying not to laugh at his friend's shitty jokes.

sapnap doesn't know when he internalised the fact that george is a friend to him, but he doesn't bother dwelling on the thought. it's happened now, so what?

when the bell rings, sapnap can't help but laugh at the relief that paints george's face (maybe he giggles, maybe his chest feels light, that's irrelevant).

"you're so dramatic," sapnap says with a laugh (totally not a giggle...), standing up whilst simultaneously sliding his laptop back into his bag- he hadn't even switched it on during the class since all of their work was already printed and sorted into the folder which george picked up as they moved.

"i'll see you all next lesson," their cover teacher says as the class is packing everything up, "don't forget to leave your projects on my desk on your way out otherwise they won't be marked!"

"your desk?" george repeats, looking at the older lady with furrowed brows as he hands her their project. "isn't mr cooper coming back?"

"no," she answers with a small head shake, adding their work to the pile and offering george a smile- she probably has no idea how rare it is for him to be here. "your last teacher won't be coming back, he's moved on to another school," she explains.

george shrugs, unbothered, but a large majority of the class share disappointed sentiments, most of them having really liked mr cooper.

sapnap had liked him too, but not enough to feel particularly upset over his absence. for that reason, he and george are able to step out, unaffected, while most of their class hangs around to complain.

"guess this means we'll never talk again now," sapnap jokes as they make their way down the hallway, trying to hide how anxious he is to hear george's answer.

he feels endlessly better when the brit turns to him, looking mildly disappointed. "don't be stupid," he says, unknowingly making sapnap's heart skip a beat. "plus, i thought you were gonna introduce sylvee to all my friends."

"wh- now?"

george shrugs. "i meant in general, but now works," he smiles. "where do you normally meet her?"

"uhm, she'll probably be at her locker," he answers, a plethora of emotions coursing through him. he's excited, obviously, already making unrealistic dreams of what this could mean for their friendship, but he also can't help but be worried at sylvee's reaction- he can't remember the last thing he'd told her about george, but he's pretty sure it was something embarrassing.