「Chapter 15 - Alternative Cowboy」

Quickly you grab your purse and open your door to hear Wyatt and Ryan talking in the kitchen.

"You ready?" Wyatt turns around and smiles at you.

"Yeah!" You chime.

"River went to get... your hat, " Ryan's voice trails off as he looks at you.

"Addy's idea, don't say shit, " You point at Ryan and laugh, "Also, he better not forget it after all the fuss!" 

"Unlike someone I would- ," River stops mid-sentence when you turn to him and stares for a moment into your eyes only briefly glancing at your dress.

"Cat got your tongue?" You giggle giving him a knowing smile.

"Let's get going you two, " Wyatt chuckles and takes the first steps into the living room.

"Kinda, " River says to you and smiles wide.

You look up at your cowboy hat on his head and notice he did seem to dress a little more for the occasion. In fact, all the guys have something a little more southern about their attire, from jeans to a button-up.

"Daw, you all look so handsome as alternative cowboys, " You smile.

"Thank you, ma'am, " River says in a pretty bad Southern accent and tilts his hat to you.

"Thanks!" Ryan smiles back.

You giggle and walk past the twins to follow Wyatt out the front door. Ryan lets you take shotgun this time and it feels weird after you got used to him up front.

As you cozy in for the long drive you notice River glancing over at you every chance he gets and it fills you with confidence. You won't lie, you're looking at him every chance you get too.

While zoning out to the music you watch as the buildings almost completely vanish. The trees, while dry are abundant and farms become more frequent. The sky is cloudless and breathtaking as the sun sets. 

"This reminds me of when we do investigations in those cabins in the middle of nowhere, " River comments looking around the particularly dense and winding road.

"It really does, will we have service Y/n?" Wyatt asks.

"Not really. It's spotty, " You tell him and recall how much of a struggle it was when you would be bored at work.

"Oh good! No one to call for help if we get attacked by a bear!" River complains.

"Bear? You're more likely to run into a bull, cow, deer, or like an armadillo than a bear."

"Exactly Riv, don't say shit like that!" Ryan scolds his brother.

You all laugh as the long road opens up to a weathered sign that reads 'Rodeo'. River pulls into the line of cars and you quickly pull up the tickets on your phone.

Eventually, River comes up to a woman with a small scanner and a clipboard of colorful paper. She asks him for tickets and he looks at you. 

"I can scan those right here for you Ma'am!" She leans lower with a friendly smile at you. 

You unclip your seatbelt and lean over the center console to show your phone. Out of the corner of your eye, you notice River tense and glance down at your chest.

You flush immediately and try to hide your smirk as the woman finishes her scan. When you lean back River very clearly swallows and tries to look at anything but you. 

"Enjoy the Rodeo!" the woman waves you off and passes River your wristbands.

You take them from River as he drives forward. Turning around you hand Wyatt his and Ryan holds his wrist out expectantly.