「Chapter 20 - What Lurks In The Shadows」

"W-what?" River questions what he just heard, not moving from his position.

"Ryan wants to go out with the girl he's been talking to so asked me to go with him on a double date, " You explain a little.

You don't know how to feel about the silence that follows. Your heart races and you feel your breathing pick up. Was that too forward? Is it too soon?

"I'd love to be your date, " He finally accepts.

"I'm glad. I wouldn't want anyone else..." You add.

You feel River smile against your neck, causing you to smile too. All of your doubts wash away, even if you want to be careful with your heart. This has to mean something to him too, you know it. 

The next few days fly by too fast for your liking. Ryan makes a plan with Jaide to meet up at a Movie Theater and Lazer Tag arena not too far away. The day of Ryan is nervous every minute leading up to the hours before we need to pick her up. 

"Dude you gotta calm down, " Wyatt chuckles in the hallway. 

"I am!" Ryan wanders out of his room past him with his phone in hand, " I just want to make sure I have everything prepared."

"It's a good thing I am driving, " River mentions, smiling at his brother.

Gently you elbow River trying to hold back your own comments. River groans softly and mouths "what?" to you. You shake your head and lean into him again. 

"Honestly, his face has been glued to his phone more than I have ever seen it, " Addy waves her hand over his screen.

"You all are jerks, " Ryan smiles and looks up at her unamused.

"Joking aside it will be fine! She already said yes to the date, " You try to reassure him as he sits on the opposite end of the couch.

"I know and that is why I am confident It will be fine, " He shuts his screen off and sets his phone down on the table. 

River and Wyatt tease Ryan a little more before it's time for you to get ready. It's all in good fun and Ryan certainly deserves some of the comments but you feel for him a little. Even if you are on good terms with River, this is your first official date. 

As you are stripping down there is a loud knock at the door. 

"Um, can you wait a minute?" You call out.

"No! I am coming in back away from the door, " Addy yells back and as she said the door swings open.

"Addy!" You yell and quickly jump back.

"They are fucking hawks if they saw anything, breath sis, " Addy laughs.

"Real comforting, " You huff.

You notice then that she has a few pieces of lacy black fabric in her hand. 

"No. I don't know what that is, but no!" You point at it and give her a stern look.

"I haven't even shown you yet!" Addy pouts.

Knowing her it's another gift she bought you to boost your confidence like the dress you wore to the rodeo. It's not that you don't appreciate it but there is no way you are wearing a dress in this chilly weather. 

"Fine, what is it?" 

"Ruuude, " She frowns and then unfolds the three items.

Your face flushes red as soon as you recognize the shapes. In her hands is a lacy, and translucent patterned, black lingerie set. The cover-up itself is a short and sheer black fabric that fades to opaque black near the chest.