Chapter 1 - The argument

After what felt like hours of arguing. After a loss that took the New Jersey Devils out of the playoffs.  It all comes crashing down. Despite the fact that Jack thought he had fixed everything, he had in fact - not fixed anything. Leading to the biggest argument the twins have ever faced.

"What are you doing?" Jack asks.

"I'm leaving." Lily said looking at him.

"Why?" He asks confused.

"Because I'm tired of you telling me what I can and can't do here, in Newark. I moved here, for YOU. That doesn't mean you can control me. I'm tired of you cutting my plans short, or cutting them off in general for no good reason. You're supposed to be my twin. My brother. But you've acted more like a controlling father, than anything else." She shouted.

"Well the whole point of all of that, was for YOU. Your wellbeing. Your safety. I was trying to pro-" He started but she cut him off.

"No. Don't you dare try to tell me it was 'to protect me'. That's the oldest line in the book Jack." She says flatly.

"Oldest line in the book or not, it's the truth Lily. I love you, you're my twin for gods sake. I'd do anything to protect you." He said truthfully.

"Truth doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm tired of you ruining my social life Jack. I wanna be more than just your twin. I wanna be more than the sister to the Hughes brothers. Our whole lives, I've been just 'jacks sister'. It's tiring. It's been 22 years of this." She says, staring at him blankly.

All Lily cared about now, was getting out, getting away. She went to CSU (Charleston Southern University) for a reason. She majored in Psychology, and minored in Social Work, Sociology, and Photography. It took a lot of work, and sleepless nights, but she did it. To make a name for herself. She can't put her degree to use in Newark. Jack won't let her.

"Lily" he said desperately. "You've never just been our sister, you've always been our Lily. The person that talked us out of stupid decisions and talked us into trying out for team USA. You're the reason we've made it so far. No matter how scared or upset one of us were, you were always there to push us through."

"Jack to anyone that knows you, they've always seen me as 'just jacks sister'. To the world, I'm just your sister. It's time I make a name for myself. I can't do that here, with you breathing down my neck after every date, every interview, and every plan I try to make with someone." She says with tears streaming down her face. A gut feeling telling her she was going to lose him.

Jack just stands there, terrified. They've never argued like this, not with a sense of dread hanging over them. He doesn't want to lose her. He's spent his whole life with her basically attached to his hip. He doesn't know how to function without her.

"Lily please. Don't leave. We can fix this." He says desperate. Tears began falling that he hadn't realized were even there.

"J. I have too. It'll be better for the both of us. You can spend your days without having to worry about me. I'll finally put my degree to use. I got it for a reason, it's time I use it." She says sadly.

"Where will you go?" Jack asks wiping his face.

"Trevs. I talked to him already, he said I could move into his guest room." She says smiling at him slightly.

"What about work? Is he making you pay rent?" He says, worried.

"I've already put in applications. Some have already got to back to me with offers. Trev also talked to the Ducks organization, they're interested in my photography work." She says proudly.

"Photography?" He says confused.

"Yea. I minored in it, remember?" She says laughing slightly.

"Oh right. I remember thinking it was pointless." He says. For the first time tonight, he had smiled.

"I did it for a reason J. Wasn't sure what career I wanted to pursue, so I studied both. Gives me something to fall back on, just in case." She says.

"Yea like you'll need to fall back on something." He tried cracking a joke, it ultimately failed. Leaving a silence hanging over them, almost suffocating them.

Lily clears her throat. "I need to get my stuff to my car. It's gonna be a long flight, and it leaves in a few hours. I really should get going." She says quietly.

"Oh. Right. Um, do you want me to help?" He says, almost scared.

"I would appreciate that." She says, still quiet. Almost a whisper. Scared anything louder would break what they barely patched.

"I'll drive you, don't want your car to stay at the airport." He says flatly.

"Right. I know Luke is joining the Devils, so he can have the car whenever he does." She says, still so quiet.

After moving everything to the car, they start towards the airport. It was awkward, mostly silent except for the music in the background. Until, Dangerous by Morgan Wallen plays. They look at each other, and start screaming to the music. The relationship slowly going back to normal.

They finally arrive at the airport. Lily and Jack are hugging, both crying. One has never been without the other. They're terrified, but this is what Lily wanted and she was going to get it.

"I love you Lily, please don't forget that. Remember, I'm only one phone call away. Do not hesitate to call me if you need anything at all." He says still crying.

"I know J, I love you too." She says, also crying.

With one final hug, she walks away. Through security and to the boarding area. She knew it was going to be a rough change, for both of them, but she needed this. She knew, that in the end, it would work out for everyone.