Chapter 33 - Round 2 (pt 2)

Lily's point of view

May 4

The devils had their first game yesterday and they won 5-1 beating the islanders at home. To say everyone was excited, is an understatement. The arena was electric. The fans were going crazy, even the handful of islanders fans went crazy when they scored their only goal. It was a sight to see.

Playing your rivals in the Stanley Cup playoffs is something else entirely. Being able to separate the players from the game is almost impossible at times like these but, i'm able to do it when I run into Mat Barzal while grabbing breakfast for everyone back home.

"Is that Lily Hughes?" Someone says. I turn around looking for the voice.

"Mat?!" I yell. "Omg hi!" I rush over to him to give him a hug.

"It's so good to see you! If only it wasn't right after last night." He says laughing slightly.

"Ah yes. The wonderful 5-1 win the boys brought home." I say laughing. He just rolls his eyes.

"Hope your ready to lose tomorrow."

"Yea right. In your dreams fisherman." I say.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. So funny." He says sarcastically. "How are things with Jamie? I saw they won last night too."

"Oh. Things are okay."

"Just okay?"

"Don't get me wrong, i love him. But at the first sign of trouble, he goes straight for the deep cut. I don't know man, it just sucks, you know?" I say.

"I know what you mean. He loves you, and you love him. You two will work it out." He says.

"Yea you're right, but i'm here until this round is over. I'm letting him decide, his words might i add, if i'm worth it or not."

"What do you mean 'worth it'?" He asks.

"Well he got defensive when i started defending Carlsson. I mean the kid had a rough rookie season, and you know my brother didn't have a great rookie season either, so I understand how the kid feels. So when i defended him, it started an argument. Which lead to him saying I wasn't worth being flirted with." I tell him. He looks at me wide eyed.

"Well for the record, i think you're worth it." He says smiling at me. Off into the distance, i see someone taking a picture, but i pay it no mind.

I laugh awkwardly. "Thanks Ma-" i start but im cut off.

"Order 63! Your food is ready!" The cashier calls out.

"Well that's me, i'll see you around barzy." I say walking away. I grab my food and head towards the door. I look around for Mat, but he's gone. Weird.

I get home with all of the food, to see Nico Hichier and John Marino on the couch next to Jack and Luke. "Oh hey guys! Long time no see!" I say to the two players. They both get up, and Nico is the first to wrap me in a hug.

"My god i've missed you." He says with his thick sweedish accent. Full disclosure, i've always thought he was hot and the accent makes it so much better.

"I've missed you too Nico." I say laughing. I turn to see John waiting. "Hey man." I say as he pulls me into a hug too.

"When you planning on moving back?" He asks jokingly.

"Probably never. No offense to anyone in this room." I say laughing slightly.

"Yea you say that now." I hear jack mumble but i ignore it. "Sorry you two, I didn't grab you two anything. I didn't know you'd be here."