Afterburn

A/N: This is after season 4.

~~~~~

Layla's POV

A bump in the road jolted Layla awake after she had just fallen asleep.

"Augh, why me?"

Layla quietly whispered, trying to not wake her friend sleeping to the left of her. For the next few minutes, Layla stared at the ceiling and let her arm lay on top of her head. With all that had happened, Layla wondered why she couldn't sleep. It finally hit her that she was still half scared to death after Tony's near death. It made Layla furious when he acted like it was no big deal that he nearly died.

"I truly thought he was dead. And then he made it seem like it didn't matter?! Why does he always take his life for granted?"

Layla stared at the ceiling for a few more minutes before getting out of her bunk. She was careful not to wake Echo as she left the room. She sneaked to the room the boys were sleeping in and carefully opened the door. Cisco was snoring as loud as possible while Frostee was curled up in the top bunk. Tony was on the opposite side from the two, barely snoring. He was laying on his back and his right leg was hanging off the bunk while his hand was draped over his chest.

Layla walked over to his bunk and crouched down, watching Tony's chest slowly rise and fall. She could tell he was in a deep sleep just from how slow he was breathing. Her gaze slowly turned to his face. Even in the dark, she realized how handsome he was. She hesitated before gently putting her hand on his cheek and turning his head towards her.

"What am I doin'? I shouldn't be here."

Layla tilted her head a little as she looked at how peaceful Tony was. He risked his life for her. 

Again. 

Layla wanted to repay Tony but didn't know how. She stood up when she finally felt tired. She looked down at him one more time before she left, but then noticed something. 

Leaning down, Layla squinted to try to see in the dark better. She finally decided to pull out her phone and turn on the flashlight to the lowest setting. There was a small patch of red peeking out from underneath Tony's shirt. 

Layla gently lifted Tony's shirt up, revealing a huge patch of red covering Tony's right hip. She gently touched it, noticing that it felt hot. Tony groaned slightly and she took her hand away. Layla stood up again and turned off her flashlight.

"Damn him. It's a burn. And he didn't tell me."

Layla covered the burn spot with Tony's shirt again. She decided she would bring this up with him in the morning when it was just her and Tony at the garage. 

Glancing at Tony one more time, Layla walked out of the room and back into her own. Echo had turned over onto her back and was slightly snoring herself now. Layla laid down on her bunk and closed her eyes, hoping she would be able to sleep now. Thankfully, her prayers were answered, and she fell asleep after a few minutes.

~~~~~

It was around seven o'clock when the hauler finally reached their destination. No one was ready to wake up yet, but Frostee, Cisco, and Echo were preppy. Tony and Layla, on the other hand, felt like they wanted to pass out.

"Well, that was a fun mission."

Echo said, stretching as she and the team walked into the garage.

"Yeah! I got to wrestle!"