July 4th

Layla pulled up to Tony's house to watch fireworks with him. She asked why they didn't watch them with their friend in L.A, but he said that they were hanging out with their families and the fireworks in Simi Valley were just as good. 

Layla walked up to the front door and opened it as instructed by Tony through text. She walked through the house, trying not to stop looking at pictures and things he had as she headed to the backyard.

She found Tony sitting in a chair, staring off into the night sky as she walked up and sat next to him. He didn't notice her presence as she observed him. He was wearing a tank top and shorts instead of his usual white shirt with that old black loose shirt and jeans.

Layla poked Tony's arm and spooked him. Tony grabbed her hand in defense and gripped it hard. Tony blinked and it took him a few seconds to register that it was Layla sitting next to him. He finally let go off her hand and slightly laughed.

"Sorry, reflex."

"Yeah, sure. Maybe you just wanted to hold my hand."

"As if."

Tony laughed as he rolled his eyes. Layla punched his arm and smiled. She didn't realized it, but she liked being alone with him. Their friends weren't there to bug them or tease them. It was just her and him.

"So, you like staring at the night sky?"

"Yeah, it gives you a peace of mind. And see the endless freedom of the sky and it's stars."

Layla was about to give him grief about the snappy things that just came out of his mouth, but then she started considering his words as she looked up at the sky. 

She could see it. The endless freedom of the sky. Nothing holding back its glory. And soon it was going to be more glorious with the fireworks.

Layla looked to her side again, noticing that Tony was observing her.

"What?"

"Nothing, I was just trying to tell what you were thinking about."

He shrugged, but Layla wondered if there was something else to why he was looking at her. Silence soon sneaked between the two again. Layla was racking her brain at what she could say to get a conversation going.

"So why did you invite me to watch fireworks with you? I know you said the others were with their families, but still."

Layla probably should've picked a better subject to talk about, but it was already too late to take back what she said.

"I enjoy your company."

Layla stared at him as he sighed and leaned his head back, breathing in the crisp, summer air. She was not expecting him to say something like that. Layla wondered what in the world was going on in his mind.

She always had a feeling that there was something more to Tony than just his incredible driving abilities, stupid mind, and his amazing smile that she loved seeing. Layla thought that one day, Tony would slip up and see would see the side that Tony hid from her.

"B-but, you're also a good friend and I thought it would be nice for us to hang out when we would have been stuck at home alone."

Tony laughed awkwardly as he added on to what he was saying. Layla wondered why he added that. Maybe he thought that she took it the wrong way.

Some pops in the distance could be heard, but Layla wasn't paying attention as she stared at Tony. What on earth was that scatterbrain of his thinking?

"Toretto, what are you thinking?"