Feverish Work

(Requested by @marigold_781)

~~~~~

Layla's POV

Layla's head pounded as she raced down the road with Tony's car next to her. She also felt insanely hot and could barely focus on what was going with the race. Plus, Layla was having horrible period cramps this week.

"Layla, are you okay?"

Tony asked over the comms when he glanced at her. Layla wanted to tell him, but she didn't want him to worry about her either and bench her from the mission. And yes, Tony did have that ability to since he was lead spy.

"I'm fine, Toretto. Don't be so nosy."

The disbelief on Tony's face was unbelievable, but he didn't press any further. He would hopefully get it out of her later. Right now, they had a mission to do. And this mission has been awful.

Tony's POV

The Spy Racers had done three raids already and still had no luck catching the terrorist. And Tony was the one getting an ear full of Mrs. Nowhere's yelling, but that's how he took one for the team, even if they didn't realize it. No one realized the insults Tony receives from Mrs. Nowhere about his "incompetence".

It's been a huge self-esteem drop for Tony and he half wanted to quit the mission and leave. But he didn't, because no one would be there to make sure the team stayed safe.

"You seem off too, Toretto."

Layla said over the comms, noticing something different about Tony's driving style. It wasn't as fast and reckless as Tony usually drives.

"I'm just peachy."

Tony responded, watching his every move with his driving, which he usually never did. But this time, he was going to make sure that he didn't mess up again. The terrorists were just a few yards in front of Layla and Tony, while Echo, Frostee, and Cisco were hanging farther up to try and cut the terrorists off.

They were quickly approaching the spot and the rest of the team appeared to try and stop them. But the terrorists did something none of them expected. They jumped their cars with a ramp, destroying it in the process so Tony couldn't try and make the jump.

The terrorists flew into the air and over the rest of the crew, speeding off. Everyone stopped and regrouped. Tony had a sinking feeling that he was going to get yelled at again. He needed to try and mentally prepared himself, but he didn't know if he could take any more mental abuse.

~~~~~

The Spy Racers returned back to the garage, the terrorists still on the loose in L.A. Mrs. Nowhere pulled Tony into another room from the rest of the crew and started yelling at him again, telling him that he should've followed them, chased them, done something other than be useless.

Tony knew that Mrs. Nowhere hated him, despised him. He took the verbal abuse, but his spark was gone. He didn't want to drive. He didn't want to catch bad guys. He didn't want to do anything but go home and sit in his room in the dark.

"Are you paying attention, Toretto?!"

Tony only nodded as he continued listening to Mrs. Nowhere's words. He could barely keep himself from tearing up, but he had to be strong. At least for the rest of the team if not himself. Honestly, Tony didn't care whether he was strong for himself or not. His self-esteem was gone.

Layla's POV

Layla was in the second-floor bathroom, checking her temperature while the rest of the crew figured out what to do with the mission. Plus, she was having to change out her stuff because she was bleeding heavy that month.