Chapter 2: Neville's New Wand

Neville's Hogwarts letter indicated that someone would be escorting him to Diagon Alley the Monday after his Birthday for his school supplies. He rushed to the door when he heard the knock, and was expecting to see Hagrid there. Instead, he was shocked to find Dumbledore at his doorstep.

"Good morning, Neville, how is your Summer so far?"

"Good . . . thanks," he was stuck there holding the door open, trying to register what was going on. "Sorry, come in, Professor."

"Thank you, I will. But only for a moment," he said walking through the door. They were standing in the parlor which had curio cabinets along most every wall-space, and which were filled with various trinkets and collectibles.

"It feels very comfortable in here, much like my own office"

"Thank you, Professor," Neville said politely, "I've always thought the same about your office."

"Aah," Dumbledore walked to the cabinet, "there is the feather collection which Roody told me about."

Having heard his name, Roody came into the room. "Mr. Professor Albus Dumbledore," he crooned, "Roody is so happy to see you again!"

"And I, you," Dumbledore said, crouching down and taking one of Roody's hands in both of his. "I was just admiring your feather collection. Tell me, did the Snowy Owl that brought Neville's letter provide you with a specimen?"

"Yes Mr. Professor Albus Dumbledor, yes," Roody hoped with excitement. "Two semiplumes."

"Splendid!" Dumbledore said, clapping his hands together, "I am so pleased for you. And I heard from Dobby that the two of you have become friends."

"Dobby said that he was Roody's friend?"

"Why, yes he did, and he plans on visiting you just after school starts." Roody was over the moon with joy.

Dumbledore saw that Gran was waiting in the doorway to the dining room, and he walked over to greet her. After some brief pleasantries, Dumbledore announced that it was time to get going. Neville walked toward the front door, and turned to see that Dumbledore was still standing in the middle of the parlor.

"I find Apparition to be the most convenient method of travel," he said. "If you would, please, come and take my arm."

Dumbledore held up his elbow, and Neville went to his side and reached around his elbow. He knew about Apparition because Roody could do it, and so could Gran though she preferred not to.

All in one instant he felt his insides lurch forward, and he followed. He could still feel Dumbledore's elbow, but all around him was swirling. At the end of that instant he was vomiting into a sink that happened to be in front of him. As Neville rinsed out his mouth and washed his hands, Dumbledore explained that they were in the bathroom of 'The Leaky Cauldron', and assured him that most people get used to Apparition with time.

Their first stop in Diagon Alley was 'Madam Malkins'. Dumbledore had Neville measured for Dress Robes, and said they were a belated Birthday gift.

"What do I need Dress Robes for?"

"I cannot say much," Dumbledore smiled at him, "but this year will be very unique."

"So far every year's been pretty unique," Neville blurted, then worried about how that sounded.

"I cannot argue with that," Dumbledore replied with a chuckle.

They purchased his books at 'Flourish and Blotts'. Picking up 'The Dark Arts: A Guide to Self-Protection' made him wonder who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher would be, but Dumbledore wouldn't say. Then they refreshed his Potion supplies at the Apothecary.