Chapter 12: The Unexpected Task

In Care of Magical Creatures, the Skrewts they were caring for had grown to more than a meter long. They had also killed each other off so there were only about a dozen left. Hagrid had them wrangling the Skrewts in his garden to eat the last of his pumpkins when a visitor arrived.

"Well, well well . . . doesn't this look like fun."

Everyone looked up to see Rita Skeeter, dressed in magenta robes with a purple fur collar, and leaning against a fence post.

"An' who're you?" Hagrid asked, taking a couple of steps toward her.

"Rita Skeeter, reporter for the 'Daily Prophet'," she announced with aplomb.

"Dumbledore says yer not allowed in the school anymore," he said with a hint of threat.

"What a lovely day to be outdoors," Rita said, giving the sky a sweeping glance, then pointing at one of the Skrewts. "What is that splendid creature, I've never seen one before?"

"Er . . . Oh, they're Blast-Ended Skrewts." Neville was worried that Hagrid had been too easily distracted, but then he took a few more steps toward her and said, "We're havin' a class out here, which means it counts as bein' in the school."

"You know, the 'Daily Prophet' does a Zoological article every month," she said with a coy smile. "Would you be interested in meeting me this weekend to talk about your Bang-Thingy Moots?"

"Uh . . . Blast-Ended Skrewts, an' that'd be great." Hagrid had suspicion in his eyes, but wore a big smile. "How 'bout the Three Broomsticks?"

"Wonderful, let's make it at noon - we can have lunch." Rita slinked away with a wave of her fingers, and even Neville could tell she was trying to flirt.

After class and before heading back to the Castle, Neville stopped Hagrid to warn him. "Hagrid, you've got to be careful with Rita. That article she wrote about me . . . I never said most of what she said I did."

"Bless ya, Neville," Hagrid said, patting him on the shoulder, "but I know ta have me guard up."

"I don't think you should meet her at all," Neville pleaded, "but no matter what, don't let her use her Quick Quotes Quill!"

"A'right, whatever ya say." Then Hagrid entered his Hut.

* * *

The Gryffindor First- and Second-years started playing a game with items they purchased from Lee and the Weasley Twins - specifically their perfected fake Wands. The game was a sort of Rock-Paper-Scissors, but they used the fake Wands which turned into a rubber chicken, a rubber Haddock or a feather boa. The Tournament would end with the loser having to eat a Canary Creme. The yellow feathers were supposed to molt off after five or ten minutes, but Neville heard there were always a few feathers that lasted a couple of days.

Luna said that even some of the younger Ravenclaws were playing it. Neville was just glad that Lee and the Weasley Twins were no longer tricking people into taking their candy - what they called surprise advertisement.

With a week left before Christmas Break, McGonagall announced in Transfiguration class that on Christmas Day there was going to be a Yule Ball - a Dance to celebrate International Magical Cooperation. It was a traditional part of the TriWizard Tournament that was meant to give students from all three schools a chance to socialize. McGonagall clarified that the Dance was only open to Fourth-year students and older, but that a younger student could be invited as a date.

After the class McGonagall stopped Neville to talk with him. "Mr. Longbottom, the Champions and their partners start off the Dance with the first song. Therefore, you will be required to ask someone to be your partner."