Chapter 19: The Third Task

The next Rita Skeeter article to come out returned to questioning Neville's amity to survive, much less finish the final Task. It claimed that he passed out in Divination class, which another student could have told her. But it also said he was delusional and claiming he could solve murders with his Dreams - there were only three people who knew about that conversation.

He asked Hermione if she knew how Rita could have gotten information about both events - particularly since there was so little time between them and they were at the top of two different towers.

"I don't understand, it's like she has the whole castle bugged." Hermione stopped herself and a smile slowly grew on her face. "I don't know for sure, but I think I might have figured it out."

Luna finished her last Final Exam on Thursday, and helped Neville run through his Spells for the Third Task. He had worked hard to master six Spells, and he felt good about knowing these few really well rather than a bunch only kind of well. His chosen Spells were "Lumos", "Protego", "Remora", "Difindo", "Impedimenta" and "Aguamenti".

They ran through the Spells one last time on Friday morning after breakfast, then played some Wizard's Chess for the first time in months. They had planned to take a break for the afternoon, and when they went down for lunch, Neville's Gran was waiting outside the Great Hall.

He ran and gave her a hug, "Gran, I've missed you. Did you come for the Third Task?" As soon as he said it the anxiety started to grow.

"Of course I did," she said, holding him back to get a good look. She looked at Luna and said, "I suppose you want to introduce me to your girlfriend."

"Gran, this is Luna Lovegood," he said, "and she's not my girlfriend."

"That's not what I hear."

Neville gave a sigh, "You heard from the 'Daily Prophet', and since when do you automatically believe what Rita Skeeter reports?"

They went in to have lunch, and Neville spent a good deal of time introducing his Gran to most everyone. Unlike introducing Roody on Christmas, Gran had to make little comments; to the teachers it was typically "We're nervous but know he will do well", or "His parents would be so proud". To the students it was either "It's good to know he has friends", or "I've heard so much about you" regardless of whether she recognized their name. But worst of all was "We always knew he was a late bloomer".

Both McGonagall and Dumbledore stopped by to say hello. Her talk with McGonagall lasted quite a while as they reminisced about being students together. Then Gran had to point out to everyone that she was good friends with Minerva.

After lunch Gran insisted that they just do what they would normally do. They barely finished their first game of Wizard's Chess when she had another idea.

"How about showing me around," she asked. "After all, it's been quite some time since I went here." She found that, other than some added paintings, the school was very much as it had been "all those years ago".

By the time the Champions and families were supposed to gather in the Great Hall, Neville found the day had been a nice distraction. He was certainly nervous, but not as bad as with the previous Tasks.

Droves of students were heading to the Quidditch Pitch making it difficult to get across the Entrance Hall. The other three Champions were with with their families, and Bagman and Percy were there as well.

Bagman led them all to the Quidditch Pitch, and when they reached the tent Percy escorted the families to their seats. The Champions followed Bagman into the tent where he turned to face them all.