Chapter 7: The Four Champions

The First-Years Antechamber looked very different from the starkly empty room that Neville remembered.  There was a fireplace which Fleur, Krum and Cedric were standing beside, and they looked rather majestic. Madam Maxime and Professor Karkaroff were sitting in two of the wing-backed chairs placed around a colorful area rug. There were also paintings on the walls. 

 Bagman and Crouch were right behind the Headmasters, and everyone in the room was looking as confused as Neville felt. Dumbledore took him by the shoulders and calmly asked, "Neville, did you put your name in the Gobblet, or have an older boy do it for you?"

"What?" Neville was just realizing what was going on, "No! That's ridiculous! Did my name come out? I thought Cedric was our Champion."

Maxime and Karkaroff both stood and started throwing out accusations: "This boy is another Champion?", "Zere cannot be two Champions from one school, it iz not fair!", "We should get to have another Champion as well!", " 'Ee must be removed, he iz too young!"

Dumbledore raised both hands and they quieted down. "He said that he did not put his name in the Gobblet."

"Of course he iz lying Dumbly-dorr," Maxime retorted, and Karkaroff added, "I insist on submitting other student names for a second Durmstrang Champion."

Mr. Crouch stepped between them all. "The Gobblet only chooses one Champion per school, and Mr. Longbottom is too young to have crossed the Age Line."

Maxime and Karkaroff continued with their objections, and Dumbledore asked Crouch, "Barty, what can we do?"

He thought deeply, and produced a hanky to wipe his sweaty brow. "This situation is highly irregular, however, the Rules of the Tournament are clear. All Champions chosen by the Goblet of Fire are now Bound by a Magical Contract. Participation in the Tournament is . . . compulsory."

"But zey get two chances to win ze Cup."

Nevilles' shock made it difficult to follow the conversation, but he began thinking more clearly when he heard a familiar clunking followed by a gravelly voice, "You're assumin' Longbottom wanted to enter, besides, why didn't the Goblet pick a more capable Champion?"

"What are you suggesting, Moody?" Karkaroff asked sternly.

Moody stumped up face to face with him and said, "I'm suggesting that whoever put the boys' name in the Goblet doesn't want him to survive."

"Is that an accusation?" Karkaroff said, taking a step back.

"If the shoe fits," Moody growled.

"You mean if the pegleg fits!" Karkaroff returned.

"Are you accusing me of siding with the Dark Lord?"  Moody took another step forward, his hand inside his coat.

"Alistor!" Dumbledore interrupted. "That is getting us nowhere. . . It seems to me that the only option is to let the Tournament proceed."

"But Dumbly-dorr, I –"

Dumbledore turned to Maxime and she stopped. He kindly said, "Please, if you have an idea that will work, tell us. Otherwise, I am afraid there is no other choice."

Maxime and Karkaroff sat back down and Moody backed up to the wall again. Dumbledore encouraged Neville to stand by the other Champions but, based on the way they looked at him, he stood a little off to the side in half-shadow.

Bagman stepped forward and addressed the Champions and their Headmasters. "Ok, well, if we're moving forward with this, the First Task will be a test of courage and cunning. It will also take place on November 24th."