Chapter 9: Here There Be Dragons

Everything went wrong when the next issue of the 'Daily Prophet' was released. The cover story was titled "The Boy Who Lived Wants to Die", and the picture was of Neville, wide-eyed and cowering. There was an article about the Triwizard Champions, though - it was on page three.

The article claimed that he had lived his life seeking reckless danger, never able to recapture his first thrill of cheating death. His poor heartbroken grandmother was supposedly ever in fear of losing him, and it made Luna out to be his heedless girlfriend. There were even anonymous reports from fellow students who claimed that he ran around in the Forbidden Forest as a First-year, and in his Second-year he tried hunting down the Monster from the Chamber of Secrets.

It made him look like a power hungry gloryhound, even claiming he said, "I'm in this thing for Death or Honor." While most students didn't believe any of it and even found it comical, many at least pretended to believe that the article was accurate. The worst quote was, "I have to be strong for my parents." While he never said this, it was close to how he felt. There was also an accusation of homicidal negligence directed at Dumbledore for allowing the "incompetent fledgeling" to compete. This felt very near to the truth as well, but it also sounded more like the kind of thing that Snape would say to him. The article never identified speaking with one of the teachers, but Neville wondered.

Even the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang started giving him dismissive or dirty looks. The ridicule from other Hogwarts students was relentless. Much of the time there were "friendlies" - as he called them - nearby to shut it down or at least turn it into what looked like friendly banter. It just never felt friendly to Neville.

That next weekend was the replacement Hogsmeade Visit, and both Neville and Luna would be able to go for the first time. Colin joined them as they walked the path through the Hogwarts Main Gates, and on to Hognmeade. The streets were crowded shoulder to shoulder with students, including those from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons.

Other than the snow, the colorful storefronts looked much like the ones from Diagon Alley. There was so much traffic in and out of most of the shops that the doors were perpetually open. Neville, Luna and Colin pushed their way into 'Honeydukes Sweet Shoppe', but moving around was what Neville thought quicksand must feel like.

Colin was elated at all the sights and sounds, and wanted to visit every shop. Luna and Neville both felt they had experienced enough for now. They helped Colin locate a couple of classmates, then they returned to the Castle.

They were back well before lunch, and Luna agreed to help him with a small project. He got out the Marauder's Map and they searched out alternate routes between classes so he could avoid the main traffic. They were even able to pick out paths where they would occasionally pass each other.

Without realizing it, they had skipped lunch, but made it to dinner early and avoided the busy time. Luna was willing to help him practice Spells, but Neville felt he needed more of a break. They ended up playing some Wizard Chess, which they actually hadn't done since their last Summer game.

Neville returned to the Common Room fairly late, and Ron immediately ran up to him.

"We've been looking for you everywhere!"

"Who has?" Neville looked around but no one else was with him. Fred and George were using one section of the Common Room for their testing, and they had three younger students with different sized tongues.

"Me and Hermione!" Neville was feeling worried by Ron's sense of urgency. "Hagrid wanted you to meet him at his Hut, but it's too late now."

"Do you know what it was about," he asked, uncertain of how important it was. Hermione entered the Common Room and ran to them explaining the same thing.