Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire

In the hour that they had before the Feast started, Ron ran out of steam trying to tell everyone about Krum but didn't run out of excitement. Neville followed the rest of the Gryffindors down to the Great Hall, and the other Houses were all arriving as well.

Shortly after everyone was settled, the Beauxbatons students glided in, led by their Giant Headmaster. Madam Maxime joined at the teacher's table where four extra seats had been added. Her ten or so students took seats near the end of the Ravenclaw table, and were acting very unimpressed by the setting. Neville saw a few of them look at the enchanted ceiling, and they even acted dismissive about that.

The Durmstrangs came in next, with Karkaroff also taking one of the extra seats at the teacher's table. Ron could be heard whispering for them to sit by him, but they settled near the head of the Slytherin table. Ron tried not to look, but Malfoy was doing his best to rub it in from a distance.

Dumbledore welcomed everyone and announced for the Feast to begin. Neville noticed that the other two seats at the teacher's table were taken, but he did not recognize either of the men. He also saw that Hagrid was doing his best to engage Madam Maxime in a conversation.

Once everyone was done eating but before anyone was bored with conversation, Dumbledore stood up to the podium. "The moment has come," Dumbledore's voice boomed as he looked across the sea of students. "The Triwizard Tournament will begin shortly, but first I must introduce two of the people who made this event possible. Mr. Bartameous Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation."

There was some light applause as a tall and very thin man in one of the extra seats stood and gave a slight bow. He was rather old, and had a thin white mustache over his upper lip. He looked like he was wearing ceremonial robes and a floppy beret.

"And Mr. Ludo Bagman," Dumbledore continued, "Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports."

There was more applause for this man, except Fred and George who snuck in a 'Boo' each. Nevlle remembered that he was the one who cheated them out of their bet. Bagman was a burly man, though not tall, and had the look of someone who used to be muscular.

"These men have worked tirelessly to make the Triwizard Tournament a reality, and will join me, Madam Maxime and Professor Karkaroff as the Panel who will Judge the Champions of the Tournament."

At the word 'Champions' there was a sound of excitement across the room.

"Please, bring forth the Casket!" Dumbledore requested.

"Casket," Neville said out loud, "that doesn't bode well."

Filch came in carrying a jewel-encrusted chest and Dumbledore continued. "The Champions will face three Tasks throughout the school year which are designed to test them in a variety of ways - Spell prowess, problem-solving, deduction skills, courage, and thinking quickly on your feet. The Panel of Judges will rate each Champion on each Task, and the one with the highest overall score will be declared the winner."

Filch placed the chest on a small table in front of the podium, and Dumbledore walked around to rest a hand on it.

"There will, of course, be three Champions - one from each school. These Champions will be selected impartially by . . ." Dumbledore paused as he opened the chest, took out a chalice and placed it on top of the chest. ". . . The Goblet of Fire!"

There was a mixture of reactions. Some were excited, but others like Neville thought the carved wooden cup was anticlimactic. The blue light dancing inside it was pretty neat, but it didn't look to be finely crafted.

"All those wishing to enter themself as a potential Champion must write their name and school clearly on a piece of parchment and place it in the Goblet. You have until this time tomorrow, when the Champions will be chosen.