Chapter 10: The First Task

McGonagall took Neville East of the Castle, past the Gardens and up the hillside to a large round Arena that hadn't been there last weekend. The cold sensation had spread through most of his body by the time they made it to the Champions Tent. Inside he found that all were waiting on him, including Professor Sprout who was standing next to Cedric but giving Neville a worried look.

"Welcome, Mr. Longbottom," said Mr. Bagman. Neville had heard he played Quidditch professionally in his youth, and he was wearing his old black and yellow Quidditch robes. "We can begin now."

He held up a purple silk sack and said, "You will each select a small model from this bag which represents what you are about to face. It will be . . . guarding what you need to get. How should I put this . . . your task is to collect the Golden Egg."

Bagman looked around at the Champions to see if they understood. "It'll make more sense after you've picked your . . . Well, ladies first."

He held the bag out to Fleur. She reached in carefully and pulled out a perfect replica of a Dragon.

"The Welsh Green," Bagman announced, then held the bag before Krum.

He drew out a Chinese Fireball, and Cedric picked a Swedish Short-Snout. Neville's hand was shaking as he reached into the bag.

"The Hungarian Horntail," Bagman announced, and Neville thought he sounded rather sinister when he said it. He was staring at the black spikey model and his vision was turning gray around the edges.

"You've chosen the Dragon that will be guarding your Golden Egg." Bagman was reading from a paper this time. "Without the Egg there is little chance of succeeding in the Second Task. The first will be the Swedish Short-Snout . . . That'll be you, Diggory. . . Second will be the Welsh Green . . . I believe that's you, Miss Delacour. . . Third to go is the Chinese Fireball . . . Which is Mr. Krum. . . And lastly is the Hungarian Horntail, which is Mr. Longbottom."

A nervous, shaky mass had been growing inside of him since he chose his Dragon, battling with the cold sensation of the Potion, and suddenly it erupted. A light-blue liquid sprayed from Neville's mouth onto the carpeted floor. He tried to stifle it at first, but only managed to redirect it all over his robes.

After a couple more heaves, he felt done and strangely less scared. Everyone else had retreated to a tent wall to avoid any splatter. He carefully stepped back and away from the blue puddle, and used his sleeve to blow more of the blue out his nose.

Bagman excused himself to start the event, and Neville did his best to apologize. McGonagall came forward to Cast 'Scourgify' and clean his robes. He could see both sympathy and disgust on everyone's faces.

Neville then realized that the Potion was now on the floor and not inside him. He did still feel cold, but couldn't tell if it was from the panic of this realization or that the Potion was still working. McGonagall led him to a chair where he sat and she finished cleaning up the sick. Professor Sprout and the other Headmasters were leaving.

McGonagall's voice was shaking when she said, "We're supposed to go now. Breathe deep, stay calm, and just do the best you can."

She left as well, and Bagman could be heard announcing to the Crowd, ". . . The Champion from Hogwarts . . . CEDRIC DIGGORY!"

The crowd cheered, and Cedric looked a bit pale as he exited the tent. At the sound of the Dragon's roar Fleur began pacing - her movements were very graceful. They could hear the crowd shouting and screaming, the Dragon crashing and growling, and Bagmans commentating.

"Clever move! . . . Ah! Narrow miss! . . . Aha! He's got it! Diggory's got the Egg!" The Crowd was yelling and cheering.

"While they switch out Dragons'" Bagman was explaining, "I'll share something with you. The, uh . . . Golden Eggs all contain a Clue which will help the Champions with their Second Task. . . Okay . . . It looks like they're ready. And now for the Beauxbatons Champion . . . FLEUR DELACOUR!"