Chapter 18: Delirium and Dream

The Week after Easter students were starting to study for Finals, especially the Fifth-years who had to take their O.W.L.s, and Seventh-years who had to take their N.E.W.T.s. After lunch one day, Bagman summoned the Champions to the Tent by the Quidditch Pitch. When Neville arrived Cedric and Fleur were already waiting.

"What do you reckon it will be?" asked Cedric.

Neville hadn't really thought about it because it just made him feel anxious. "I dunno," he replied.

"Fleur thinks it might be a treasure hunt, maybe with tunnels," Cedric said, and Fleur nodded behind him.

Krum entered next, and was followed shortly by Bagman. He looked around the tent and scrubbed his hands together, "Good, we're all here. Follow me then."

Bagman led them out of the tent and onto the Quidditch Pitch. The usual flat grass area was criss-crossed with knee high vegetation - shrubs to be precise. He stepped over row after row of low hedge until he reached the center of the Pitch.

"Well, what do you think?" he said, spreading his arms out to indicate everything around him. "They're growing very nicely, aren't they? And in a month they'll be a full three or four meters tall."

The four Champions wandered a bit, then Bagman asked, "Any guesses what we're making?"

"A maze," grunted Krum.

"Exactly," Bagman said cheerily. "The Third Task is simply a maze. The first Champion to touch the TriWizard Cup in the center will receive full Marks."

"We simply 'ave to get through ze maze?" asked Fleur.

"Oh, there will be plenty of obstacles," said Bagman, bouncing on the balls of his feet. Creatures to get past, Spells to break . . . and don't try to memorize the maze, it will be Enchanted to continually change."

Neville felt some relief that he had more direction than with the last Task, but it would also require more of a variety of Spells.

"So," Bagman continued, "in the evening of May twenty-sixth, the four of you will enter the Maze in the order of your points so far. Cedric will enter first, then Neville, next will be Viktor, and finally Fleur." He looked at each Champion as he said their name. "The maze will have enough variety that you all have a fighting chance. Should be fun, eh?"

It didn't exactly sound fun to Neville, but he nodded his head when he saw the others doing the same. They didn't look convinced either. As dangerous at the first two Tasks were, there had to be some serious obstacles in this Maze.

"Very well . . . if no one has any questions, we can head back to the Castle," Bagman concluded.

Neville hung back, hoping to avoid Bagman's offer for advice. He was the last to leave the Pitch, and the others went straight toward the Main Entrance, so he decided to take the path past Hagrid's Hut. He heard someone walking behind him, and he looked to see that Krum was trying to catch up with him. He slowed his pace and Krum's footsteps got louder.

Then there was a sound of breaking branches off to the left and Neville saw that someone was coming through the Woods. He cautiously leaned off the path for a better look and recognized it as Mr. Crouch. Neville ran to meet him and Mr. Crouch was wearing filthy, torn robes, and he had scratches and bruises all over. He was also mumbling something, but Neville could only understand some of it. ". . . my son . . . tell Dumbledore . . . captive . . . Miss Jorkins . . ."

Neville looked back toward the path and saw that Krum was walking slowly and looking around, most likely looking for him.

"KRUM!" he yelled, "OVER –" and everything went black.