Chapter 15: Sabotage

They shared a rather dry pot pie at the 'Hog's Head' for lunch, then returned to the Castle in the early afternoon. They planned on continuing their break with some Wizard Chess until dinner, but then Dobby stopped them near the Library.

"Neville Longbottom, Dobby must talk to you." He was acting as concerned as he had two years ago.

"What's wrong, Dobby?"

"Neville Longbottom must know that Winkey would never betray her family. But Dobby thinks it is okay to tell Neville Longbottom what Dobby heard Winkey say."

Dobby looked at Neville for approval. Neville nodded, and Dobby said, "Winkey was crying in her sleep, sir, and Dobby heard Winkey say that Barty Crouch is wanting Neville Longbottom dead."

"But Mr. Crouch hasn't been around since before the Christmas Break."

"Yes, sir," Dobby said, "but –"

"Longbottom," came the growling voice, "can I have a word?"

Dobby Disapperated, and Moody stared at Luna but she just smiled back at him.

"Very well," he began. "Seein' as you were cheated out of the Clue, I thought it was only right to give you a small hint."

"Wait, Professor Moody," Neville interjected, "if I go into this Task knowing what to do, it'll look like I cheated."

"The Judges already know the Diggory boy told you about the Clue," Moody said with a toothy grin. "It's not about helpin' you win, it's about keepin' you from dyin'."

Neville thought about this, and decided that not dying was the best option. "Okay, what's the hint?"

"Look in your book on Mediterranean Water-Plants."

Moody left, and Neville turned to Luna. "Did he say Mediterranean Water-Plants? I don't have a book like that."

"Let's check in the Library after we play some Wizard's Chess," Luna suggested. "We're still on break until after dinner, remember?"

Thinking they had almost all week, they waited until Monday to check the Library, but it wasn't there. They asked Madam Pince if someone could have stolen it.

"The books here are Enchanted to be unstealable," she explained. "Even when they are checked out properly, they'll appear back on the shelf if someone tries to keep them too long or take them off school grounds."

"That's pretty neat, but how does that help me find this book?" Neville hoped he didn't sound as impatient as he felt.

"It just means the book you want was already checked out," she said with a bit of snark.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," Neville apologized. "Are you allowed to tell me who checked it out, please?"

She looked at him over her bi-focals in much the same way that Dumbledore often did. "It was checked out on Saturday evening by Mr. Draco Malfoy."

Neville didn't know how to respond, and Luna pulled him away before he was accidentally rude again.

"Thank you, Madam Pince," Luna said to her.

Once they were in the corridor, she said, "He must have overheard Moody's hint and checked it out that same day."

"It's my fault," Neville muttered, now mad at himself. "I said something mean to him a couple of weeks ago - I bet he's been waiting to get even."

"That doesn't mean it was your fault," she consoled. "Don't let him know he got to you."

Giving up on the Second Task was easy compared to not letting Malfoy get to him. Malfoy kept the book with him all week, and made sure it was prominently displayed. The constant reminder made it difficult to focus on his schoolwork.