17: An Appetite for Battle!

3rd Person POV:

It had gotten late into dusk now and the quintet of five trainers was still hiking through Route 5. Almost everyone was in good spirits, but Serena had a slight, worried expression.

"If we don't hurry, we won't get to the Pokémon Center before the sun sets," she said.

"That's okay, we'll just camp out," Nina smiled, putting her hand on Serena's shoulder.

"We'll camp out?" Serena questioned.

"What's wrong?" Ash asked.

"Don't you have your gear?" Clemont asked.

"Well, actually. My mom told me this might happen. But I never really considered that I'd end up having to sleep outside for real," Serena explained.

"Well, I brought an extra sleeping bag with me. So you're welcome to use it if you like," Nina smiled.

"And you can sleep with me and Nina in my tent," Bonnie cheered.

"That's so nice," Serena smiled, a little overcome with kindness. A bit later, they had stopped at a nearby stream, this was to first have dinner before going to sleep in the tents. Everyone had helped set up a fire, the tents, a picnic table, and bowls of food for all of the Pokemon. Once they had finished it had already gotten dark, but luckily Clemont had finished cooking and people were ready to eat.

"Everybody ready to have a big dinner?" Ash asked all of the Pokemon once he'd finished setting up the food. All of them reaffirmed him they were ready.

"Wow! What a feast, everything looks so totally delicious!" Serena smiled, eyeing the food on the table.

"Help yourselves, bon appétit," Clemont said, as everyone tucked into their food. Pokemon were happily eating food, some faster than others but generally, everyone was happy. And so were the trainers who were happily eating away at the food on their table.

"It's great! You're really a great cook," Ash complimented Clemont.

"Thanks, cooking's a lot like inventing, make a plan, gather materials and then go," Clemont explained.

"Dude whatever method you're following is definitely working. Not even my mom can cook this well," Nina smiled, while biting down on a sandwich.

"My big brother the chef, hooray!" Bonnie cheered. After a while, plates were empty and stomachs were full.

"Mmm that was wonderful, thanks so much," Serena smiled.

"Yeah, thanks," Bonnie smiled at her brother.

"Oh yeah am I stuffed," Ash remarked.

"Serena, what are you looking for?" Nina asked, turning to her friend, who was rummaging through her backpack.

"Shh," she said before digging around and finding her basket. "Now who has room for dessert? Yesterday when we stayed at the Pokemon Center I made macarons," Serena smiled.

"Yay!" Bonnie cheered.

"Nobody makes them like you do," Clemont smiled.

"True that," Nina smiled, thinking about the time she and Serena had baked macarons and how she had burned her batch to a crisp.

"Hey, I want one," Ash said.

"I'll get the tea," Clemont said, getting up to get the kettle, he brought it over and started to fill up the cups with tea. Meanwhile Bunnelby was on the ground, clearing away the bowls used for Pokemon Food.

"Macarons and tea make the perfect combination. Okay, let's try them," Clemont said, opening the basket before it was utterly empty.

"Huh? What? It's empty," he said, dumbfounded.