Chapter XXVI 🌒

Throughout the days, Zenitsu didn't even notice the pain. however, it wasn't for the right reasons.

.

"Hey Kaigaku." The blonde calls for his brother

"What is it?! It's the middle of the night!" Yells Kaigaku, annoyed he woke him up.

Small 12 year old Zenitsu has tears in his eyes.

"I'm scared of the dark."

Teenager Kaigaku sighs annoyed. "Alright come here."

He lets him sleep next to him.

"You are lucky Gramps took you" Kaigaku whispers.

Zenitsu smiles at his older brother.

"Can you sing me a song?" He asks with puppy eyes.

Kaigaku frowns at him. "Alright."

He sings quietly to the blonde kid.

Zenitsu giggles and sings along.

The two brothers giggle all night.
-

Kaigaku gasps and looks around the room.

Kaigaku is standing next to his little brother's bed, watching him sleep.

"This is so exhausting. It's been 2 weeks since he went into this coma."

"I'm sorry, it was the only way to make him stop suffering" sighs Shinobu

The Butterfly Estate has been quieter than usual. No one mentions what happened on that day.

"You should go, you can't be all day with him." She suggest to the older brother

"I know.. I'm- Okay. I'll go." He leaves the room, his eyebags showing clearly. "I hate these dreams."

Shinobu looks back at the sleeping blonde. "Oh Zenitsu... if only you were awake." She whispers

Nezuko encounters Kaigaku and holds his hand, trying to comfort him. Kaigaku smiles and hugs her, tears falling from his eyes.

"I hate seeing him like this Nezuko. I just wish he was awake"

Nezuko hugs him tight.

Inosuke is in the garden training.

He stops for a rest. He looks around and sees the herb garden.

-

"You dumb boar head! I can't believe you messed this up!" Yells Zenitsu.

"NOT MY FAULT! I WAS TRAINING!" He yells back.

"MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL! AOI IS GOING TO KILL US!"

Inosuke frowns. "YOU CRYBABY!"

They start hitting each other.

"You know what?! Let's just fix the garden!" The blonde suggests.

They quickly finish the job before anyone notices. They sit tired.

"Since when are you so good with these things?" Asks Zenitsu.

"I don't know...since I grew up in the forest...I guess nature is just my thing." He answers honestly

They both smile.

"Hey. Make sure to help me if I mess up something in the garden."

"Whatever Monitsu! It's not a big thing!"

"I told you! MY NAME IS ZENITSU."

"ALRIGHT. MONITSU."

"YOU PIG!"

-

Inosuke looks back again, anger filling his body.

He throws his katana towards the tree.

Meanwhile with the rest: Mitsuri has been off and still misses him sometimes while Iguro comforts her, Genya and Kanao miss him but try to stay strong, the rest of the Hashiras are already use to it. It might hurt them a little to see their friends suffer though.

Tanjiro is in his room, looking empty. All these days he has been quiet and inside which was very rare of him. The others have tried to talk to him but they never succeeded. It was obviously normal.

He didn't get it, why would Zenitsu say such a thing? Let him die? Just let him suffer and cough until his breathing stops? Kill himself? No. No. He wouldn't let him do that. Not him.

Zenitsu was the first friend Tanjiro met. He was a crybaby and scared all the time. However, the more time he spend with him, the more normal he seemed. He was funny, warm and kind. Zenitsu became his best friend. He was there in the good and hard times. They were never separated.

Tanjiro was devastated.

Suddenly, a knock is heard.

"I want you to come with me. I have to tell all of you something." Shinobu says through the door.

Tanjiro frowns but agrees to go.

In the room is Kaigaku, Inosuke, his sister and Shinobu.

"I already told the rest but I wanted to tell all of you alone."

Tanjiro sits down next to his friends.

"What is it?" Inosuke ask impatiently.

"Inosuke." Kaigaku looks at him.

"Sorry.."

"You are well aware of Zenitsu's condition right now."

The group nods quietly.

"I have done some research and..." she sighs and takes a pause "we don't think...umm.. Zenitsu doesn't have enough time."

Silent fills the room.

"In just a few weeks, Zenitsu is going to die." Shinobu finally says.