Chapter thirty

The storm rolled in faster than expected. It made it exceptionally hard to walk as the waves crashed against the yacht. After didn't even get the chance to eat breakfast before the storm hits us. Our first instinct is to stay below deck and just wait out the storm. Something isn't sitting right with me. My gut is telling me something is up about this storm. It's possible someone angered Zeus and this is the result. We settle in on the couch and choose to turn on a movie. Percy must be still asleep in his bedroom. Luke keeps his arm around me as I sit with him. But my eyes glace to the porthole rather than The Avengers. 
"What is it?" Luke's boyfriend Spidey-Senses must be tingling. 
My head turns to see his worried look. "It's the storm." I say. 
"I thought you liked storms. You always complained about how camp never gets rain." He said.
 "Something isn't sitting right with me about it."
"What do you mean?" He asked. 
 "My gut us telling me that there's something unusual about this storm." As much as I try to explain without sounding crazy, I don't think I did a good job. I get up, walking around the couch and to the door. 
"Wait, where are you going?" Luke asked, getting up and rushing after me. 
"To investigate." I say. 
Luke grabs my wrist and stops me. "Jo, no. It's too dangerous." 
"Luke, I'm a child of Poseidon. I'll be fine." I look into his eyes. "Stay down here. It's not safe for you out there." 
"If you're going out there, then I'm coming with you." He says with a determined tone. 
I was about to argue. But I know he can be more stubborn than I am. So, the both of us head above deck. A flash of lighting strikes across the sky and thunder soon follows. That wasn't what bothered me. It was the size of the waves. Poseidon's yacht stayed rather steady considering. The water was rough, my hand stays clasped on Luke's arm while my other hand holds the railing. 
"I don't know what you're looking for. But we should really stay below deck." Luke yells over the storm. 
I started walking towards the bow. "I just need to-" 
The words out of my mouth stop as my eyes land on what is in front of us. A rogue wave began to tower over us. A wave capable of capsizing a cruise ship or an oil rig. 
"Holy sh-" Luke says what I was thinking. 
There's no way out of this. Is it possible for me to level out the water? Am I powerful enough to do it? Percy is more experienced with this. He's been using his abilities longer than I have. But I have to try. Taking a breath, my eyes close. Focusing on the usual tug in my gut. Luke grips my torso. Grounding me to the ship. I think the word 'calm' over and over again. Willing the sea to become peaceful once more. I feel the tug in my gut. The bow of the yacht began to rise along the base of the wave. Both of my hands grip the railing quickly and I feel Luke's arms lock around me. The while yacht began to rise along the side of the wave. How how is Percy sleeping through this? The tug in my gut became stronger as I willed the waves to be calm. For the safety of my Luke, I needed to get us through this. The rain pelts my skin and I allow it to give me strength as I do my best to control the water. I have a feeling that if I try to control the storm as well, I won't be as successful. All at once, the yacht levels out. The wave retreats back into the ocean. For a moment, I feel the sun on my face. But before I can be warmed by the sun, my world goes black as my body falls limp. 

As I wake, my eyes drift open. I feel the softness of my bed under my body and the sun shines in through my bedroom window. Was the storm all a dream? I remember it vividly. I woke up, went for breakfast but then a storm started outside. My head slowly looks around and I spot Luke sitting nearby. As we make eye contact, a smile forms on his face. He gets up from the chair and walks over to the bed. Taking a seat on the mattress his hand slipping inside mine. 
"The storm tamer is awake." He said with a smile. 
"So, that did happen." I say, my voice soft and tired. 
"It did." He nodded. "You passed out right after." 
I slowly sit up. Stretching slightly like I normally do when I wake up. "It's...odd. It took all my energy even though I had water to replenish my body." 
"That was your first time controlling a storm." He says more like a statement 
"Yup. Never done it before." I bring my knees up to my chest. "So...the storm just stopped?"  
"Yup. Percy says that children of Poseidon can control weather but only when it includes water. Like rain." 
"My ears are burning." Percy pokes his head in my door, which was slightly open. 
"Look, who's finally awake." I tease. "Thanks for doing absolutely nothing while I was above deck and keeping us afloat." I say sarcastically as he walks to my bed. A cup of water in hand. Which I take as he makes it to me. 
"You're welcome. I was having such a lovely dream." Percy joked. Making him and Luke chuckle as I take a sip of water. 
"If it was raining then I think you might be psychic." I say between gulps of water. Both of them laugh at that remark. 
"How did it feel?" Percy asked. "To control the storm."
"Like controlling water. Only it was way more unruly. Like trying to lasso a tornado." I finish my glass in a few more gulps. Setting it aside on mt bedside table. 
"Luke told me that there was something weird about the storm." Percy crossed his arms.
"I can't explain it." I shake my head. "I felt something similar to the feeling of being watched. It was like...someone was using the storm to target us." Which is dumb. Because there are two children of Poseidon on board. Maybe whoever it is, was trying to slow us down.