1: no caller id

CHAPTER 1
No Caller ID

THE last day of Kassidy's junior year of high school had finally arrived

THE last day of Kassidy's junior year of high school had finally arrived. And she couldn't have been more grateful.

She was ready for summer.

And the much-needed break that came with it.

Ever since she had come back to school, she was constantly reminded of what had happened prior to her arrival.

On every bulletin board in every hallway, lay artwork and memorials for Tony, Nat, and now Steve.

When Kassidy had heard the news that Steve Rogers had died, she was hysterical. She hadn't known the man to the extent she did Tony, but it meant one less fatherly-figure in her life.

It wasn't only the memories that destroyed school for her. It was the people.

One day while she was getting changed for gym class, a couple of girls in the locker room had noticed the scar on her leg, the one that had been left from the alien's blade. They made no effort to hide their judgment as the laughed and whispered while sending looks Kassidy's way.

If it hadn't been for Peters comfort later that day, Kassidy might have found those girls in the parking lot after school.

"Hey, you good?" MJ suddenly asked, noticing her friends faraway look. "You seem distracted,"

Kassidy shook off her thoughts and lifted her head to look up at MJ. She gave her a nod and a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, I'm just thinking about packing and stuff," Kass lied, shrugging her shoulders. "Are you done yet?"

In a few days, Kassidy and her classmates were headed off to Europe for an end-of-the-year vacation.

"No," MJ admitted. "I'll probably throw something together day of,"

"Yeah, sounds like you," Kassidy chuckled, glancing around.

Her eyes landed on Peter and Ned, who were sitting across the room at their own table, deep in discussion. Peter must have sensed eyes on him, because not two seconds after she had looked over, his eyes met hers.

Kassidy sent the boy a smile, before glancing at MJ and standing from her seat and making her way across the room.

"Hey, boys," she greeted, pulling a chair up beside Peter. "Whatcha doing?"

"Oh, you know," Peter said, his voice high-pitched. "Just talking about the trip,"

"Yeah, and Peters plan," Ned added, smiling.

MJ had just joined them, and was now sitting on the other side of Kassidy, her eyebrows pinched in judgement.

"Plan? You have a plan?" she asked.