8: the opera

CHAPTER 8
The Opera

BACK at the hotel, Kassidy retreated to her room, where she immediately collapsed on her bed, debating whether or not she was imagining the events from earlier

After a few minutes of trying to calm herself down, Peters face appeared on Kassidy's phone, signalling a phone call.

"Hello?" she greeted, trying to hide the shakiness in her voice.

"Hey- uh, hey Kass." Peter stammered, the nervousness evident in his voice. "I got EDITH to get the class tickets to an opera tonight, which means they'll be out of the way."

Kassidy let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, good." she muttered. "Are you on your way back?"

"In the lobby now." Peter confirmed. "I think we'll probably have to head to the opera soon, I see Mr. Harrington on the phone right now."

"I'll be right down." Kassidy said, standing from the bed. "You have my suit still?"

"Yeah, I've got you." Peter replied. "See you in a minute."

"See ya."

Kassidy hung up the call and put her phone in the back of her jeans. She ran across the room to the bathroom, where she ran a brush through her tangled hair and applied a small amount of chapstick onto her lips. She checked her appearance in the mirror before she let out a sigh and left the room in a rush. As she closed the door behind her, Kassidy turned around to be met with MJ, who was looking at the shorter girl with furrowed eyebrows.

"Have you been in there this whole time?" she asked, nodding towards the room.

Kassidy glanced back at the door, nodding her head. "Uh- yeah- yeah, I was." she lied, nodding her head. "W-why?"

MJ narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "Because I was knocking on the door for like five minutes straight and you didn't answer." she challenged.

Kassidy's eyes widened slightly, but she shook her head nonetheless, trying to keep her composure. "Oh- uh, yeah, I had a shower, so..." she told the girl, shrugging her shoulders.

"Your hair's dry."

"I blow dried it."

"Bullshit, your hair frizzes up when you blow dry it."

"There was a diffuser."

"On a hotel blow dryer?"

"Yep."

"Hm."

MJ and Kassidy looked at each other, both silently challenging the other to speak another word. MJ was suspicious, that much was obvious.  One of her eyebrows were raised, and her eyes bore into Kassidy's, seeing through her lies as if they were glass.