Chapter 7

Winter P.O.V

"YOU ARE A STUPID IDIOT WINTER!" Narwhal yelled at me. " YOU ALMOST COST OUR ENTIRE TRIBE FOR A SCAVENGER!" I was terrified. " YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF SOMEONE SAW YOU RIGHT!?" I put my head down in shame. " They just looked so scared." I whispered. Narwhal lifted my head with one claw and slashed my lip with the other claw." YOU SHOULD BE LUCKY YOUR EVEN ALIVE AFTER THAT TREACHERY! BUT YOUR BROTHER JUST HAD TO BEG FOR YOUR LIFE!" I felt my blood and tears drip from my chin. "LEAVE NOW!" I ran and ran with the thought of never even coming back. "What about Hailstorm?" A voice whispered in the back of my mind. I could never leave my big brother so I ran off to find him. I did not have to wait long because he found me instead. He was there in front of me with a shocked and sad face. " Hailstorm.." I could not finish my sentence because he pulled me in for a big hug and let me cry. I sobbed on his shoulder and he patted my back. " He let go of me and wiped away my tears with his thumb. My blood had dried on my face and on his shoulder. He looked me in my eyes and said " Winter..I am so sorry.I..I should have been there to stop this." He said with a face of guilt. " No." I said feeling angry at myself for making him feel guilty. " This was my fault, I shouldn't have done that." I said. "Winter, don't do that." He said with a type of seriousness that it scared me a little. " You are the most creative,caring,and unique dragon in this tribe." He said. I felt a little proud. " You are the best of our tribe Winter, better than me,Icicle or any other Icewing." I could not help the smile that crept onto my face. He smiled at me and said " Good now that you know lets go clean up that nasty scar." He said. "ok." I said and I followed him.

I woke up from my memory with a slight smile. That was three years ago and I am six now. I still have that scar that my father gave to me. It runs from the bottom of one of my nostrils across my lips and onto my chin. I shivered at the thought of my father. But I was safe now I was part of a troop with my brother Hailstorm,my friend Lynx, and Polar. My brother is nine and has a mate back home. Her name is Windstorm and she was very nice to me the few times I met her. Lynx was one of the few dragons who was nice to me after the scavenger incident as the tribe calls it. She has been by my side for as long as I can remember. As for polar he was a big blurry Icewing with blue wings and was white everywhere else. He was missing the tip of his tail and one of his horns was snapped in half but despite all of that he was calm and mainly just hunted and scouted with us. There were a few times he told us to hush but besides that he was not aggressive. We were on a mission ordered by Queen glacier herself and even my brother was shocked that she picked me on for the mission. The mission itself though was...Dark. We were ordered to kill any dragon that nears our border. So we have been here for about five days now. We have turns on, taking watch for dragons during the night. Speaking of that, it is almost my turn. How did I know? Lynx was walking over to me to wake me up. She put a hand on my shoulder " Winter you up?" She asked. " Yup." I replied in a hushed tone not trying to wake the other. She smiled a little. " How long have you been awake?" She asked. " Not long," I replied.

" Good so get you shiny scales out of my bed." She said, I chuckled. We only had three beds set up because only three of us would sleep. I stood up and stretched. Lynx was already laying down with her eyes closed when I looked back. She always looked much more peaceful in her sleep than Hailstorm and polar who looked like they had been sleeping on a rock the whole night in the morning. " Good night." I whispered. " Good night." I heard Lynx whisper back. I walked over to where the post was. It wasn't that bad, it was a little small but big enough to hold two dragons with spears. I picked up my spear which was placed next to a rock and sat down watching for any sudden movements or bright colors in the distance and hopefully no dark colors in the distance. Nightwings I wanted to throw up just at the thought of them. They wiped out half of our tribe 2000 years ago as punishment for what Prince Artic did. "Monsters."I mumbled under my breath. I continued my watch for quite some time. It was just me and my thought after all it's not like anybody will ever com-Wait are those dragons flying towards us? Yup those were totally dragons, a yellow,green,light blue,and a bright yellow dragon was flying towards us. At least that was what I could see now that the sun was rising. It looked like there was a fifth but I did not wait to see. I ran over to wake the others. "Guys! There are dragons coming!." I yelled. They woke up with a simultaneous snap. Lynx looked at me and said, "Are you sure?" with some worry in her voice. " Yes I am sure." I responded quickly. " Now come on, we don't have any time to wait." I heard talons running behind me. When we got to the spears I heard Lynx say " There really are dragons coming our way." She said with fear. Poor Lynx I thought. She was never one for killing dragons herself unless they truly deserved it. But unfortunately there was no time for that. We took off for the sky to confront the dragons. They were the same dragons. But now that the sun was a little higher up I could see a fifth dragon. A dark one. A Nightwing.