Chapter 23

I am making a little snack when Asher walks into the kitchen. He takes his jacket off placing it on the back of a bar stool and he walks over to me touching my shoulder.

"Is it okay if I give you a hug?" He asks clearly wanting to make sure I felt comfortable.

"Yeah that's fine." I smile poping a strawberry piece in my mouth and he pulls my back close to his chest.

"I got a little hungry so I made a little snack I know its almost dinner time I just didn't think I could wait." I explain.

"You are welcome to eat whatever you want whenever you want. Okay?"  He questions kissing the top of my head.

"Okay." I reply.

My phone starts going off and I pull it out of my back pocket and look at it finding Sam calling me.

"Hi Sam, your on speaker." I say as I put it on speaker so Asher can her the conversation as well.

"Hi Stella, We have a slight problem." He says and confusion instantly takes over.

"And what problem would that be?" Asher questions before I have a chance to respond.

"The guys we picked up wont admit to anything and while we have some evidence of harm we don't have enough to keep them here."

"What does that mean Sam? You said I would be safe, that I could come home and be fine."

"And you will be fine, there is a solution I'm just not so sure you are going to be okay with this particular solution." he says.

"And what is the solution?" I ask.

"They will all confess and go to jail under the condition that you talk to him. That is all he wants, to talk to you."

"Like hell. Sam I am not letting her talk to him. I don't trust him." Asher says before I have a chance to fully process what Sam has just said.

I hear the two of them going back and forth but finally stop them, snapping them out of their little argument.

"I'll do it." I say a lot of confidence seeping into my words.

"No, Stella dont put yourself in that position. Please." Asher practically begs, turning me around looking me in the eyes.

"I will go and hear him out but Asher will be ther the whold time, I won't do it any other way." I reply.

"I can get him there but having him in the room with you probably wouldn't be a good idea."

"That's fine. Just text me the time and day and I will be there. You promise he will behave and confess if I do this?" I question.

"We can't tell for cirtin but I have a pretty good feeling about this, it's worth a shot." He confirms.

"Okay that's all I need to know." i say. I hang up the phone and look at Asher, and I can tell he isn't happy with my decision.

He is silent but I intertwine his fingers with mine. "Asher you know this is the only way to get what we want, for him to go to jail."

"You don't think I don't know that Stella? But every time you come into any kind of contact with him you freeze and eventually shut me out. He gets into your head and you shut down." He says grinding his teeth.

"I know, and I'm sorry you have had to be the one to bring me out of that state, that's not fair to you."

"Fair? No its far from fair I have had to physically pick you off the floor because of what he does to you." He sinically laughs.