Chapter 8

"So~ how's Mason?" Cotton nearly choked on his slushy as Bee pushed him in a wheelchair through the mall. He blushed slightly. "He-he's good." Bee smiled. "It seems you guys are more than good by that expression." His face flushed red and he gave her a look of pure mortification. Bee burst out laughing and Cotton lightly chuckled. "I'm only teasing. Have you guys kissed yet? You know, while I'm asking questions." He blushed harder and she took that as an answer. "Just a small one." He mumbled. She smiled. "I figured there was no way two boyfriends could be alone in a room together and not have kissed at least once." Cotton frowned. "Have you kissed anyone before?" Her smile fell. "No, I haven't. But I would like to." He looked back at her and smiled sadly. He could guess the reason why. A whole lot of people in her school were homo/transphobic. She gasped as the rounded the corner to Claire's. "Oh Cotton, we have too!" He sighed and let her wheel him into the store. He parked himself in a corner and watched as Bee bounced all over the store looking at all the earrings and squishies. He smiled as she came bounding over to him with a certain look in her eyes. "Hey Cotton, can I get another piercing?" He laughed. "You are almost 18. I think you can make choices yourself." She smiled widely before bounding over to the counter nearly trampling a small child. He watched as the person behind the desk led her over to the chair and sat her down. She pointed to her cartilage. "Right here please!" They smiled and held out the consent sheet. She happily signed and handed it back. They made her take out the rest of her earrings before drawing the dots and eventually stabbing the earring into the ear. He admired how she didn't even flinch as it went in and clicked. When they had finished Bee got up and payed. She beamed with admiration at her new piercings and had a little bag filled with her other earrings and some new ones she had purchased. He had finished his slushy and she wheeled him over to a trash as they headed to the next store. 

*****

After their mom had picked them up, she dropped them both off at the hospital and pulled out a book. She knew it would be a while with them. Bee raced Cotton to the elevator and then to his room trying to make the hospital less dreary for him. Mason jumped as they burst through the door and onto Cotton's bed. They were both laughing uncontrollably when the nurse came in to tell them to quiet down. Mason joined in the festivities shortly after and Bee pulled out Uno from a pocket in her shirt. "Hylaeus you had that in your pocket all day and I didn't notice!?" She shrugged and started dealing out the cards. "I am a clown you know. I am supposed to be unpredictable." He sighed at her logic and gave up. After Mason defeated them both by a soul crushing amount, the same nurse came in to tell Bee it was past visiting hours and she had to leave. "I'll come visit you tomorrow after work." She ruffled Cotton's hair and lightly punched Mason's arm before leaving. She made it to the front desk before stopping. "When will my brother be out?" She smiled sadly. "Probably not for a while. He is recovering rapidly so maybe not as long." Bee nodded and sighed. She could feel tears pricking at her eyes and decided it was as good time as any to leave. She went out to the parking lot to find her mom ready to pull out. "I have your schedule almost memorized. You go in there at about 5:45 pm every single one of your off days and then exit at about 9:23." Bee laughed.  "I really hope Heidi didn't wait up for us." They shared a laugh before letting a comfortable silence cover them. "I noticed you pierced you ears again." Bee lightly touched her ears and smiled. "Yeah." Bee's mom shook her head. "I really need to keep you away from Heidi." Bee laughed and started to fiddle with the ends of her shirt. Heidi had been thoughtful enough to make dinner for them and leave it in the oven. She had already gone to bed so they ate silently and then both went to get ready for bed. Bee went to her bathroom and started her nightly routine. She cleaned her ears and washed her face. She quickly tided up her room and got into her pajamas as she snuggled close to Pumpkin. She was just a small enough dog that Bee could easily cuddle close. She stared at the ceiling for a long time before finally falling into a deep sleep.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing this part!