Chapter 2: Hogwarts Sorting

Harry stood at the front of the Great Hall, waiting for his name to be called. It all went slowly, so Harry got to look around. They were in between four tables; two on each side. Those tables held older students and each table had child with different Hogwarts robes. The ceiling looked about the same as the outside, the night sky with the moon shining reflectively. It was a long shot from the bright blue sky from the train. Hermione had been wrong, they didn't arrive in a few minutes, it took hours. Harry acknowledged the floating candles that lit up the hall. One each side, except for the one they came from, had stain glass figures, Harry couldn't identify who they were. Ahead of them, was a long table. In the middle, had a old man. His blue eyes twinkled at Harry under his moon shaped glasses. He let out a grandfatherly smile that would almost make you believe he was weak, if the twinkle of his eyes didn't exist. He had on a funky robe that was purple for some reason. Harry, personally, detested the color purple. And on both sides of him there was different people. On the furthest seat on the right side, Harry saw a man with a turpin. Another thing that was disgustingly purple. Matter of fact, that was his whole color scheme as well.

Professor McGonagall stood at the front of the Hall with a chair to her left and parchment scroll in one hand and the sorting hat in the other.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folk use any means.
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a Thinking Cap!" The hat in her hand sung.

Harry was slightly cringing away from it. But was quickly ignored when McGonagall started to call out names.

"Abbott, Hannah."

The girl walked up to the stool with nervous face.

"Hufflepuff!" The hat screamed out.

"Bone, Susan!"

"Hufflepuff!"

There was more people getting sort but Harry tuned out. But he was sucked back into reality when he heard some familiar names.

"Granger, Hermione!"

"Gryffindor!" The hat said.

"Greengrass, Daphne!"

The girl who walked up was a pretty one. Long honey blond hair with icy blue eyes.

"Slytherin."

"Malfoy, Draco!"

The hat wasn't even on the boys head when it called out: Slytherin. Harry shook his head.

"Potter, Harry!"

Whispers followed him up to the stool. It made Harry slightly annoyed, but he wasn't about to crack. Harry sat down on the stool and the Professor placed the hat on his head.

"Hmm... difficult, very difficult. You've got bravery, so you'd do good in Gryffindor but you don't want that, don't you? Why is that?" The hat murmured.

"I... just don't think that's my house."

"But you're also cunning and you want power... Slytherin would do you good... so it better be..." The hat said, "Slytherin!"

Harry's robes and tie changed from black to greens as he stood to walk over the Slytherin table. The whole hall had been quiet, even the person in the golden throne in middle of the table of professors had stopped smiling and his twinkle disappeared. He looked worried. Like Harry had ruined something important.

Harry sat down at the table next to the girl with honey blonde hair and icy blue eyes. She looked at him, coldly. Harry assumed it wasn't just him. She also gave that look to everyone around him. Harry wanted to introduce himself but the old man stood up.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts, as most of you may know, I am Professor Dumbledore; the headmaster. I have a few start of term announcements to make. First, Mr. Filch have requested that you refrain from using magic outside of class. Secondly, the third floor corridor is forbidden, unless you wish to die a painful death. And the forbidden forest is forbidden for a reason. Let us feast." Dumbledore announced, smiling grandfatherly.

Harry, immediately, got curious as to why the third floor corridor was forbidden.

"Potter." A voice said.

Harry looked up from his food, emotionless mask in place. It was Malfoy.

"Joining Slytherin, eh? You're not welcomed..." Malfoy sneered.

"I could have figured that out by myself. Matter of fact, I don't want people to welcome me with open arms, I want to earn it, and I will do just that, Malfoy." Harry retorted.

The table had quiet down, they were expecting a great showdown and Harry thought that they would get it, just not today.

"You're Dumbledore's spy, aren't you?" Malfoy smirked like he won the British lottery.

"No, Up until today, I had only discover who Dumbledore was. So, using logic, I couldn't be his spy."

"You had Weasley tell you about him."

"Ah, but that was clearly bias, and I like to form my own opinions." Harry spoke nonchalantly.

He turned back to his food, now completely ignoring Malfoy. That disrespect seemed to make Malfoy more angrier.

"My father will hear about this." Malfoy huffed and walked away.

Harry felt a tap on his shoulder, and looked to the right of him. A boy with brown hair and a crooked nose, brown eyes shined with amusement. He was fairly handsome.

"Nice, Potter. I'm Theodore Nott, but you can call me Theo or Nott, I don't really care." The kid named Theo greeted.

"Nice to meet you, Theo. You clearly know who I am." Harry said with a slight smile.

"Everyone knows who you are Potter." Theo added.

"You're right, unfortunately." Harry laughed.

Harry knew that being in Slytherin will bring him closer to his goal.