Chapter 13: The Duelling Club

Guildroy Lockhart was a fraud. Some believed that and others were too blind to see. Harry saw right through the act. From his first class with the teacher, he knew he wasn't who he said he was when he couldn't even stop pixies from taking over the classroom. Hermione had to use her brilliant mind to get everything under control. Even then, he was self-centered. Harry couldn't believe that he would create a quiz just for himself. The man's arrogance made Harry feel like Lockhart was just the older version of Dudley or Malfoy.

Hardy made his way into a large room. It had a long platform where the obnoxious teacher smiled and answered lovestruck girls questions. Harry rolled his eyes. He felt someone bump his shoulder. It wasn't in a friendly matter. It jolted Harry forward. After Harry stabilized himself, he looked up to see the back of a platinum blond haired boy. Harry could see the smirked on the boys face.

Harry held in a growl. He walked up to the platform. He spotted Blaise and Theo on one side and Ron and Hermione on the other. Harry looked at both trying to make a decision. Harry ultimately went with Blaise and Theo.

"Gather Around! Gather around... can everybody see me?" Lockhart started as he up and down the platform continuously, "Can you all hear me?"

There was a chorus of yeses.

"Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me promission to start this little dueling club. To train you all up! In case you all need to defend yourselves, as I, myself, have done on countless occasions." Lockhart informed dramatically. "For full details, see my published work."

Lockhart took off his outer robes and threw it into the crowd of students. They all tried to grab it with gasps of lovesickness.

A Hufflepuff with a long chin and black hair turned to Harry. "Isn't Lockhart something, isn't he? Isn't he willfully brave chap? Justin Finch-Fletchly." He introduced himself.

"Oh nice to meet you, I'm Harry–"

Harry was cut off by Justin, "I'm know who you are. We all do, even us muggleborns."

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape!" Lockhart announced, pushing his hair towards the stairs of the platform.

Snape stalked his way up the stairs.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration—now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear."

They walked up to each other. They whipped out their wands and bowed. They turned around and walked four steps and turned around, wands pointed at each other. Lockhart begin to count down. Once he hit three, Lockhart had tried to get a spell out but Snape was faster.

" Expelliarmus!"

Lockhart let out a yelp and flew back towards the other end of the platform. The students went up in laughter. Lockhart got up stiffly.

"Okay... an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you're about to do and if I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy." Lockhart tried to shrug it off.

"Perhaps, it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor," Snape chided.

Harry secretly agreed with Snape.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair: Potter, Weasley, how about you?" Lockhart suggested.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with even the simplest spells. He will send Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Perhaps someone from his own house, Malfoy." Snape pointed at Malfoy and directed him to get on the platform as Harry did the same.

As Harry walked on the platform, Lockhart had said good luck. The room was quiet. It was no secret that the two students on the platform facing each other hated each other, with a passion.

Malfoy with a small smirk of arrogance.

"Wands at the ready."

They pointed their wands to ceiling in front of their face, still giving each other the death stare. Draco took this time to mock.

"Scared Potter?" Malfoy mocked.

"You wish." Harry countered.

They both threw down their hands and didn't even bow. They turned around and walked four steps and turned around.

"On the count of three, cast you charms to disarm your opponent. Only to disarm." Lockhart repeated. "We don't want any accidents here. One, two–"

"Everte stactio!" Malfoy yelled.

Harry didn't have time to react. He flew back to where Lockhart was. Everyone grimaced. Malfoy looked smug.

"Rictusempra!" Harry casted the tickling charm.

Malfoy fell to the ground laughing. It took a few seconds before Malfoy would stop laughing, but Snape needed to help him get up.

"I said, disarm only." Lockhart reminded.

"Serpensortia!"

A small cobra flung from Malfoy's wand. Everyone moved back. The snake moved in from Justin.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you–"

"Leave him, snake... leave him..." Harry stepped forward and hissed.

Everyone stared at in a silent fear. The snake looked at him.

"Impera Evervaca..." Snape casted fire on the snake.

The snake burned and Harry snapped out of the trance he was in. Looking confused, he saw his Gryffindor friends looking at him with fear and his Slytherin ones look at him with barely concealed curiosity.

"What are you playing at?" Justin asked, shakingly.

Harry let out a breathe. "What?"

"Class dismissed." Lockhart said.