Chapter 1

Photography club. The best hours of the week. There was truly nothing I loved as much. The way you could say so many things with just a single image fascinated me. And the many different ways photographers could express themselves by doing the very same thing.

"Welcome once more, my dear photographers" said our teacher. Well, she wasn't exactly a teacher, but I might as well consider her one.

"Hello!" we said.

"I have exciting news for you" she said. "We are going to have a photography contest! However, this is not just any contest. It's a chance to show your work to other schools and fashion agencies."

Now that was exciting. Everyone started commenting among themselves. This was big news for me, as it was my dream to make a living out of photography.

"Oh my" said Kaneko by my side, "this is huge. Y/n, this could be your great opportunity!"

"I know! I can't believe it!" I squealed excitedly.

Kaneko and I had met at the club and we quickly became friends. We'd both joined with the same dream, but she'd discovered her passion for medicine and left photography as a hobby.

"All the information is in these papers, but I'll tell you a bit about it now" the teacher tried to silence us. "You will present a number of photos with the same theme, not just one. I would recommend to use your own style but also try to not make them all the same. They are looking for young promises to keep the industry alive, they want innovation but also determination. You must give me your work and I will present it. The deadline is a month before the school year finishes. Of course, you don't have to participate if you don't want to."

"How will we know if we win?" asked a boy.

"Don't worry about that. If you have to give your projects in a month before break is so they have enough time to decide a winner."

We weren't many people, because the club wasn't as popular as the sports ones, which I always thought was sad. But now? Right now it was a blessing. Less people to compete with.

"If this year's results are good, this contest will be done every year" added our teacher.

The first and second years relaxed a bit. That was less pressure on them, they still had next year. However, it did not relax me. I was a third year, this was my only chance.

"Hey" Kaneko punched my shoulder gently, "you got this, girl!"

"Thanks."

Club time was over and we all left still shocked and talking about the exciting news.

"See you tomorrow! You going home?" said Kaneko.

"No, I'm gonna drop by the volleyball practice. Bye!"

Now, I did not have many many friends, but the ones I had were very different. There was Kaneko, for example, who was very kind and working, but absolutely hated sport and loved ice cream a bit too much. And then there was Michimiya, captain of the Karasuno volleyball team. She loved sport and crafting and was very patient.

"Hey, y/n! Would you like to set some balls?" she said the moment she saw me.

"Hi, guys!" I said, dropping my bag on the floor.

"Hey!" they said.

"So, how about setting the ball?" insisted the captain.

"No thanks, Miya." I declined. "I'm knackered. Just wanted to pass by and say hi. You guys don't mind if I sit here and watch for a bit, do you?"

They said they didn't and I just sat watching their improvement and eventually pointing out things. I'd met the team by accident months ago when I was lost and accidentally entered the gym. How? I still don't know.

They'd helped me orientate around the school and after that I sometimes went to see them train. I helped with lost balls and sometimes set the ball or watch their serves carefully to help them improve. They ended up getting used to seeing me around and we became friends, especially with Michimiya, always so open to meeting new people.

I wasn't an amazing player, but I'd played a bit in my old school thanks to some friends, so I knew a lot of things. Also, I was very observant because of my photography skills, so I helped looking for mistakes.

That day, though, I really was knackered and hadn't planned on going, but I just had to tell Miya the exciting news. When practice was over, I said bye to the girls and took Miya aside.

"I have to tell you something."

So I told her about the contest. I was moving around so much I was actually surprised she had heard me.

"That's awesome!" she said. "Good for you! What will be your theme?"

"Uuh, I haven't decided yet."

"I see. Well, you can photograph the male Karasuno team and bring me with you."

"Miya! You just wanna see Daichi, don't you?"

"You got me" she laughed, a blush spreading across her cheeks.

"I don't know what you see in him, to be honest" I teased.

"Have you seen him?" she sounded even outraged.

"I was just joking" I laughed. "You like whoever you want, Miya."

"I know. And call me Yui, how many times do I have to tell you?"

"Okay, Yui."

We laughed and said goodbye to each other.

On my way home, I thought about what could I do my project about. Yui had been joking, but she'd sort of given me an idea. Doing something with the volleyball team was a good idea and I doubted anyone would do the same.

It was going to be a long night.

Hello! This is my first long fanfic, so thanks for giving it a try. This will not follow exactly the series as the girls team will gain importance. Nevertheless, we'll get to meet other teams and whatnot, so just roll with me. Please vote and comment :D