Chapter 21

Sitting on the floor, his arms around his legs and tears rolling down his cheeks. That image of Suga broke my heart.

"Y/n?" he tried to wipe his tears and put on a convincing smile. "Hello. What are you doing here?"

"I came to put these balls away," I explained. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, of course," he lied.

"Hey, hey, you are clearly not okay," I said, sitting by his side. "What's up? You know you can always talk to me."

"I- I don't know," he sighed.

"Try to explain it. Putting it into words will help."

"It's just- " He sighed again. "I feel useless."

He paused, but I didn't interrupt him. Let it out, Suga.

"I train as hard as the rest and a first year steals my place in the team. Daichi and Asahi still play, but I... What do I do?"

"Okay, anything else?" I said, calmly.

"I feel like nobody takes me seriously. Oh yeah, Sugawara, that easy-going guy. You can probably set fire to his house and he will still smile at you. Besides, I'm always the second choice. And I'm tired of that."

I nodded and he looked away, saying  "this is pathetic."

"First of all, this is not pathetic. Okay?" I said. "Second, why would you feel useless? The team needs you. You're the glue that joins them all together. What do you think would happen if you weren't there? You give Asahi the strength he needs. Oh, and those first years are a handful, Daichi needs you."

He laughed at that. I kept talking. "You always help set the mood, which is very important when training. Karasuno isn't Karasuno without you. Excuse me, who invented the Karasuno cheer squad?"

He chuckled. "Do you really think that?"

"Of course! How can you doubt it?" I was doing well. I needed to keep going. "Being a nice person is a good thing! But don't play innocent, we both know who's behind the frog incident. And who knows what else you've done."

Another chuckle.

"And what do you mean by second choice?" One more. I needed one more. "Are you kidding me? Anyone who made you feel that, doesn't deserve you. Your time is not worth them. You are so special, Sugawara Koshi, so special. Don't forget that, okay?"

"Okay," he smiled for the first time.

"There's that smile! Are you okay?"

"I'm much better, thank you," he said.

"I know it won't be instant, but keep working on that. And I'm here for whatever you need."

"I know. I'm the luckiest guy in the world."

I grinned and gently brushed the tears away from his cheeks. I pulled him closer for a sweet, comforting kiss.

"I love you so much," he said, when we pulled away.

I stared at him, probably as red as Nekoma's banner. He seemed to repeat his words internally, because he blushed and rubbed his neck, like he did when he was embarrassed or nervous.

"I didn't mean to tell you like this," he said. "But I can't take it back now. And I'm not going to say you're smart and funny, even though you are, because that's what people always say. And you are so much more than that. You are dedicated, perseverant, pretty, interesting, caring... And the list goes on and on and on."

I was at a loss for words. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it, but I wasn't surprised when I realized I had an answer. It was crystal clear.

"I love you, too. So much." I beamed at him, incapable of containing my happiness.

This time he kissed me. "Still... I'm sorry, Sugar," he said. "This was such a crappy confession and you deserve something way more special."

"I don't care. I just want you," I said. "And don't call me Sugar."

"Aw, why not?" he laughed.

"Because it's too cheesy."

"You know you love it," he smirked.

"Love what? You? Absolutely. That nickname? Not so much."

He just laughed. "How do you do that? You always make me smile. No matter what."

"I'm just awesome like that." I winked at him, and he laughed again.

"You really had to go and ruin the moment," he rolled his eyes, but I could see him smiling. "Come on, it's late. Let's get you home."

"You're taking me home?" I said.

"I told you I'm a gentleman," he straightened his shirt, like he did that one time.

"You're so silly, it's what you are," I giggled.

"Whatever, Sugar," he said, and got up.

"Hey!"

"What was that, Sugar?" he was almost at the door now.

I ran to catch up with him. "Don't call me that!"

"I can't hear you, Sugar!"

"Aaaaahh!" But I couldn't keep a straight face as I laughed with him.

I closed the gym and we went to our own houses, laughing and joking all the way.

Suga had said he was the luckiest guy in the world. He clearly didn't know what it was like to have a boyfriend like him.

A bit of comforting and an unexpected confession. Pls vote and comment :D