Chapter 18

Ah, photography club again. Boy, did I love it. Today we were learning about how to take pictures at night or when it was dark. I couldn't help but think about last weekend, where I'd been in a beautiful place without my camera.

The afternoon Suga and I had arrived, I'd asked him to leave me at Kaneko's place. I had kissed him good bye and entered my friend's house. Her parents had said hi and asked about my parents. Then Kaneko had taken me to her room.

I was so lucky to have her. I told her about our little adventure. I didn't even know how eager I was to tell somebody. We also called Ishida, but didn't let him fanboy too much. Then she and I stayed awake for a while.

The first day of the week was always hard, but right now I was very happy.

"I gotta say," said Kaneko by my side," those nails of yours sure look good."

"Of course, you painted them yourself." I snorted.

"I did, didn't I?" she said, full of pride.

"Just shut up already. If you have these skills, why even bother studying medicine?" I joked.

"Because, my dear friend," she replied in a mock philosophical tone," contributing to the scientific community is my dream."

I knew she was completely serious about that, but I couldn't stop laughing. Soon, she was laughing with me.

"Girls, what's going on?" the teacher said. She was very nice, but she hated interruptions. "I'll allow it this time, because you're both always well behaved. Come on, we have ten minutes left."

"Thank you, miss" said Kaneko.

"Sorry, miss," I apologized.

I could've sworn I saw Yamada giggle. Oh, I hated her so much. Not only we just got embarrassed in front of everyone, but she had to go and laugh.

When the teacher gave us permission to walk around to write some ideas, I took a glance at Yamada's photos for the contest. They were a beautiful collection of flowers and trees.

Bah, I thought. Nature, such a cliché topic.

I nudged Kaneko and subtly pointed at the pictures with my chin. She was clearly impressed by them, but she rolled her eyes and took me by the arm.

"She probably didn't even make those herself," she said.

"I don't know," I said. "I couldn't care less about her, I'm not wasting my precious time looking at her work."

"Good point," Kaneko said, thoughtfully. "Whatever, let's just forget about her."

I thought that was a very good idea and took out my camera to take some photos after being apart for so long.

"It was just a weekend," said my friend, as if she could read my mind. Sometimes I thought she could do it, there were too many coincidences.

I stuck out my tongue at her and, when she returned the gesture, I took a picture. Except that the photo wasn't saved. Perhaps the memory card was full.

I went to take it out to replace it, but there was nothing to take out, because the memory card was missing!

"What's wrong?" asked Kaneko.

"I must have left my memory card at home," I answered.

"Don't you have another?"

"Of course I do, but I can't just go losing them around, can I?"

I took out a spare one and forgot about it. Club was over and I headed home instantly. Despite what I'd told Kaneko, I wasn't relaxed. It was very weird that I didn't have everything related to my photography tools under control.