Chapter 6

"How is your project going?" asked Kaneko.

"We're supposed to be studying, don't distract me like that," I complained, very tired after a long hour of hitting the books.

"I'm aware, but I want to know."

I explained everything and showed her Ishida's drawings. Then the couple of bad pictures I had to have an idea.

"I love it!" she said. "But I would try to include teamwork as well. Not so much individual effort, which is also important."

"Got it. Thanks."

"And these photos are not that bad. You're just too perfectionist. Oh, God, look at the time! I have to go, my brother's gonna kill me. He told me I had to be on time! See you in class."

I didn't understand what that was all about, but I had to go to the girls's gym, anyway. And I really hoped they'd let me play a bit, because I needed it after studying that much.

When I got there, everyone was inside and said hi. They were going to focus on connecting the ball that day. I just grabbed one ball and played with the wall. I liked that way of training. I used to do that a lot in middle school and it took stress away.

They were doing a very good job, so it was time to take it to the next level.

"Why don't you try the synchronized attack?" I suggested. "It's not as hard as it looks. You just need to watch it a few times and practice it."

They didn't look too convinced at first, but when I showed them they could do it, they decided to try it. It was a disaster the first time. But they tried again and again. Each time getting better and better.

"Come on, girls! We almost have it!" Yui was very motivated that day.

Someone knocked and I opened the door to find no other than Sugawara, still with the volleyball shirt on and a bunch of papers under his arm. The girls looked as surprised as me.

"Sugawara?" I said, smiling.

"Hi, y/n. I don't mean to bother you guys, but Shimizu has to leave earlier today and she asked me to bring you these." He gave me the papers. "She says she's sorry she can't give them to you personally. Shimizu doesn't like going back on her words."

"Oh, thanks. Tell her to not worry, it's nothing." I took the flyers. "See you tomorrow, then? Or the day after, I don't know."

"Actually, could I come with you? You're doing us a favour, so I'll be happy to help you."

Yes, of course you can come! That's such a good idea! I want to get to know you some more, I thought.

"Sure," I said, like it was no big deal. "Meet you where the bikes are?"

"Sounds good. And call me Suga, it's shorter. Now I'd better get back or Daichi will kill me."

"Okay, Suga."

He closed the door behind him and as soon as he did, I got smirks and strange looks from the girls.

"Umm, you guys okay?" I put the flyers next to my bag.

"What was that all about?" Yui raised an eyebrow.

"The boys need a new manager next year and I offered to help."

"No, she means what are you up to with jersey number 2," said Sasaki, wing spiker.

"You heard it, we're going to put some flyers on boards," I said, not quite understanding.

"You can be dense sometimes," laughed Aihara. "The only thing he didn't do was give you his phone number!"

"Oh my God," I said, finally understanding and feeling very stupid. "It's not like that!"

"Aw, she's blushing," said Watabe. "Come on, let's practice the attack some more, time is almost up."

They went back to their training and before we knew they were stretching.

"See you tomorrow, girls!" I said, grabbing my bag and the papers.

Suga and I got there almost at the same time.

"Let's walk around and put these when we find a notice board or something," I said.

So that's what we did.

"Can I ask you something?" I said when we put our first one and he nodded. "Why do you have two setters?"

"We don't. I used to be Karasuno's setter, but Kageyama entered the club and I'm no match for his talent. I still train with the team because I have more experience and I need to keep my skills sharp." His smile had dimmed a little.

"But you can still play at matches, right?" I said, hoping to lift his spirits.

"Yeah. Sometimes I play when things get rough."

"I think both teams are going places," I said sincerely.

"Yeah. What were you practicing when I went?" He hung another flyer.

"The synchronized attack," I said, proud. "We're about to master it."

"Really? It would be interesting to do it. I'll tell Daichi."

"It was our idea, give us some credit."

Suga laughed. "I guess that's fair."

"You guys should train together some time. It's just an idea, but you could really help each other."

"That's not a bad idea," he said thoughtfully. "Oh, we're almost out of these poster thingies."

I laughed. "Poster thingies."

"Yes. My vocabulary may not be as extensive as yours."

"That was a pretty neat sentence, but what do you mean?"

"Sometimes you randomly say a very weird word in the middle of a sentence."

"Really? Well I am flabbergasted, I hadn't noticed that."

We both cracked up. It wasn't even that funny, but we couldn't stop laughing.

"I'm not the best at studies, so I guess it makes me feel smart," I confessed in a low voice.

"You are smart. And dedicated. I'm sure of it. If you're getting bad grades, you might need another way of studying. Actually, we're forming a little study group for the team. Do you want to join us?"

I was a bit shocked at his compliments. "Yes, that would be great. Thanks."

"Well, this is the last one," he said.

"Already? I feel like we started only five minutes ago."

"Me too. Um, I'm thinking that it would be great if we knew which days you're coming." He took out a pen and a tiny piece of paper. "Here's my number. Keep me updated with the dates."

"Will do," I said, taking it. "Let's see if it works."

I sent him a hi!! and his phone rang. "Perfect," he said.

He waved and we left in different directions.

The only thing he didn't do was give you his phone number!

I heard Aihara's voice in my head. What was this?

It's just so you can tell him when you're going and don't bother the team, I reminded myself.

Then why was I feeling like this? I couldn't recognize the feeling either. Happiness? Excitement? Accomplishment?

I'd only felt something similar towards... Ishida...

No, I refused. I did not like anybody. I didn't need that right now.

Denial stage hehe.
Pls vote and comment :D