c a r n i v a l

"Nicolas!" Kai exclaimed when he saw his best friend across the school's parking lot

"Nicolas!" Kai exclaimed when he saw his best friend across the school's parking lot. It was the end of the day and they were about to go home. Nicolas's mom came to pick him up today, which was unusual since usually either Kai's mom dropped him off at home or Lee.

Today, Lee had come to fetch Kai and told him about the summer carnival that was happening on Saturday and Kai just had to tell Nicolas about it! He wouldn't have much fun without Nicolas by his side and this was the first time they would get to go on such a fun outing together ever since Nicolas joined their school.

They usually only get to spend time together at school and sometimes a sleepover here and there. Kai has never been to Nicolas' house yet since Nic doesn't seem to really like it but Nicolas always came over to his. He once let slip that he wished he could stay there all the time because he got lonely in his own house.

When Kai heard that he wanted to kidnap Nicolas and keep him with him forever, someone as precious and kind as Nicolas should never feel lonely. It was just unfair! But Lee had told him that they couldn't do that so Kai sulked and instead made sure that whenever Nicolas was over he gave him all the hugs in the world so he wouldn't feel sad. Nicolas always said that Kai's hugs made him feel all better.

"Kai?" Nicolas stopped in his tracks before getting in his mother's car, confused as to why the little bundle of joy that was his best friend was running back to him.

"Doyouwannagotothecarnival?" Kai asked, out of breath from the short distance he ran.

"Huh?" Nicolas said, confused at the garbled mess that left his best friend's mouth.

"He's asking if you would like to join us Saturday to go to the summer carnival?" Lee asked, coming to a stop behind his little brother who ran from him.

"A carnival?" Nicolas asked with wide excited eyes. He had never been to a carnival before but he heard about them and they sounded so much fun and he knew that going with Kai would make them even more fun.

"Yes, a carnival! It'll be so much fun Nicolas! We can go on rides and eat yummy food and play games and win prizes and eat food and-"

"Kai, buddy, I think Nicolas got the gist of it." Lee laughed and Kai blushed but he was still peering at Nicolas with a beaming smile and eyes glimmering with happiness.

"I'd have to ask my mom but I'd love to if she says yes." Nicolas politely replied mostly to Lee and then he glanced behind him at his mom who was waiting for him inside the car with a worried frown.

What if she refused?

"How bout I go ask her and you guys stay here?" Lee told them and they both nodded and watched as Lee went over to the car and bent down to her window so he could talk to Luciana. He gave her his charming smile and rattled on about the carnival and after a few moments they watched Luciana nod with a tight smile and the boys cheered loudly.