Chapter 6: Heartstrings Dashed

Scene One: Outside Jefferson High School

Y/N stood outside in a nervous state once more. The initial enthusiasm wore off as he simply overthought the date. He went through all the possibilities, what she might say and what she might do, what he should do, and... well it was a lot to think about. He simply waited out in the cold for Peni, just thinking... and thinking... and planning.

It was a cold and windy afternoon outside Jefferson High, the wind flowing through, picking up leaves and small bits of trash. New York was truly enveloped by the Autumn season, with students leaving the bustling school and stepping out into the brisk outdoors. The wind whipped through the air, carrying with it a sense of anticipation and energy. As they emerged from the school's entrance, students' jackets were pulled tightly around them, huddled figures bracing against the chill. The sound of laughter and chatter echoed in the air, intermingled with the occasional gusts of wind that drowned out some of the conversations. They came and went, adding ambiance to Y/N's thoughts while he waited.

Moments later, a girl's voice called out through the wind's symphony. Y/N turned and saw Peni at the entrance, who looked at him back. They both looked at each other with matching gazes as Y/N walked up to her. Y/N's mouth gave way to a subtle but warm smile as he acknowledged Peni's presence. Peni's eyes lit up even more as Y/N came closer, and she greeted him with an exuberant wave and a friendly "Nice seeing you again!" Their contrasting energies seemed to complement each other perfectly at that moment. Y/N's calmer and relaxed ways with Peni's excitable enthusiasm blend well as if their yin and yang personalities intertwined.

Y/N and Peni engaged in a brief casual conversation, their voices mingling amidst the bustling sounds of students and the shuffle of footsteps. Y/N listened attentively, his calm demeanor serving as a grounding force, while Peni's animated gestures and expressive storytelling brought life and energy to their interaction. Slowly, they would begin walking down the sidewalk following a wave of other kids who also had a plan of eating out together.

The two ventured out together for a lunch date at a cozy pizza place. Y/N tucked his hands into the pockets of his orange puffer jacket, which went over and hid the stark white uniform of the school. As they walked side by side, he observed their surroundings with curiosity, occasionally stealing glances at Peni with a hint of a smile and pointing out some interesting details and animals just passing through.

Peni exuded a vibrant energy that was hard to miss. Her lively presence filled the air as she bounced along. She wore her trademark uniform and skirt, with long socks and sneakers that were pink and black. Her black hair caught the middling sunlight that managed to break through the clouds. Peni's face was adorned with a beaming smile that seemed to radiate optimism and anticipation for their lunch date.

As they walked, leaves fell upon the ground slowly, already tinged with the hues of autumn. Those in the wind danced across the pavement in a frenzied whirlwind. The bare branches of nearby trees swayed vigorously, their skeletal forms casting elongated shadows on the sidewalk. The two would enjoy their little walk, laughing and talking, even doing things like playing rock-paper-scissors and tag for a moment, before going back to their usual walk. At one point, Peni would visualize her cold by rubbing her hands together, blowing into them like a furnace. Y/N, being the kind dude he is who also studied prior with old romcoms, took off his jacket and draped it over Peni's shoulders, lifting the hood over her face just for fun. The two laughed again as Peni lifted the hood and adjusted it, looking back at Y/N and giving him a genuine and sincere smile while she fitted it onto her, looking a bit too big for it, falling to her upper thighs.