Chapter 17

I woke up and immediately smiled, which was a rare thing since I WAS NOT a morning person. But today was different, today the adrenaline was pumping through me, today was race day.

I practically jumped out of bed and walked to the bathroom, I took a shower and got dressed before waking Faith up.

I got Faith dressed and ready to go and we ate a quick breakfast before making our way to the track.  I signed some stuff for fans with my free hand and and took some pictures.

When I reached Ferraris garage and got into my drivers room I set Faith down and sat down on the couch. I took a deep breath and stared down at my shaking hands, my heart was racing wild. What if I messed this all up? When had I ever had good luck? How was I supposed to have luck today if I'd never had before? There was so much press every time I opened my phone it was people asking wether I was good enough, wether I had enough talent, or did the crash scare me so much I can't even race anymore?

I got brought out of my thoughts by Faith climbing up into my lap. She curled up onto my lap and wrapped her small arms around my neck, and lay her head against me.
"I love you daddy." She whispered, I wondered if she knew what was going on, or if she just decided to randomly do this, either way it was exactly what I needed.

I hugged her close, "I love you too, baby." We sat like that for little while, Faith fell asleep and my heart slowly slowed down and the shaking slowly went away.

***

I held Faith on my hip as I walk up to the other drivers waiting for the drivers parade to start.
"Give me the child!!!" Carlos said, reaching his arms out for Faith. I smirked at him and turned so he couldn't reach Faith.
"No, my child." I said laughing. Carlos pouted, which caused Lando and max to start laughing.

"I swear if Charles comes back and whoops our butts, I will die on the spot." Max said dramatically once he stopped laughing,
"Please do, it would be a relief to us all." George smirked at max, Max playfully punched his shoulder.

"Well better make sure you've got your will written cause that's exactly what I plan to do." I said confidently, it's exactly what I was hoping to do. And getting pole position only made me want it more. Plus this year had been a mainly red bull year so a Ferrari on the top step would be nice.

I waved at the fans as we went around the track, Faith was a bit shy and hesitant but with a bit of encouragement she too was waving at the fans.

The time flew and next thing I know it's time to get in the car. I pull my helmet on and climb into the car, I pull my gloves on and turn the car on, I smile as it roars to life. I feel the nerves comeback again as the formation lap starts. I focus on driving the car around and stopping again. I take a breath as the lights slowly turn on, I feel the outside world disappear. Just me and the car.

The lights go out and I quickly shoot away, I battle max the first lap before I'm able to get ahead and put some distance between us. I focus on one lap at a time, making sure I hit my marks. Some where around lap 10 I actually relax and it feels normal. Like the accident never happened.

The race felt like a dream, we had good pit stops, stayed in the lead for majority of the race. The last couple of laps battled hard with Max, we were side by side going through the last corners, I barely beat him to the line.

"Charles Leclerc you are amazing!!!!" Some one screamed over the radio, probably my engineer. I was in to much shock to really be paying attention. This is what I hoped for, what I dreamed for, but I honestly didn't know if it was possible. Multiple drivers came up beside me and gave me thumbs up. I felt like crying, laughing, and screaming all at the same time. It felt like winning my first race all over again.

I did donuts with Max on the front stretch, before parking the car. I climbed out and ran over to my team and hugged them. My brothers and mom were standing next to the team, Arthur was holding Faith. I hugged them before taking Faith. I carried her on my hip over to the tables where we could take our helmets off. I gave max and Oscar a pat on the back before sitting Faith on the table while I took my helmet off. I picked Faith up again and stood next to max as we watched Oscar do his interview.

"So I guess your gonna just going to drop dead." I teased Max, he laughed and rolled his eyes,
"You didn't completely destroy us, so I think I'm safe." He said,
"Darn." I muttered with a smirk, earning a light punch in the arm from max.

Max and I did our interviews before we went to the cool down room. After watching a couple replays we were then escorted to the podium. I kept Faith on my hip the entire time, even during the podium ceremonies. I just made sure she kept her eyes shut when the champagne started spraying.

I stood on the top step with Faith safe in my arms, a medal around my neck, a trophy at my feet. I smiled out at the sea of red, all cheering. My team and my family below all smiling up at me. I tightened my grip on Faith, and placed a soft kiss onto her head.
"I love you baby."
"I love you too daddy."
I sighed contently, we may have had a rough start together, Faith and I, but we were stronger because of it.

I heard max sigh loudly, completely ruining the peaceful, happy moment.
"Your so cute with your little inchident."