Family is All You've Got

"To me, Feather was more than a sister. She was my whole life. I don't know who our parents are. I'm not sure she did either. She raised me, taught me, protected me." Abyss' eyes were wide. "She always told me to hide. When I finally asked why she told me we were different. I didn't think that was a bad thing. I still don't. She told me we were to different. Dragons didn't understand us. Things they didn't understand, they feared. I remember asking 'Why would they fear me? I can't even breath fire.' She gave me a weird look and told me not to count myself out yet. One day, though, we were found. Not by the non-hybrid-hunting tribes. If I could've flown maybe we would have gotten away. But I was  only two. She stopped to keep them occupied as long as she could. She told me to run. I did. I don't know what happened to her, I assume she's dead. I wish I'd stayed behind, stayed with her. After that I found this place, I was  safe here. So here, I raised myself. I taught myself to fly, to hunt, to fight. I've been alone far to long. Some dragons, it would have hardened their heart. It only softened mine. Many dragons say they would die for someone they love. How many actually have? I've learned that you never underestimate others, or yourself, they may surprise you." Abyss and Saphira looked  like they didn't know what to say. Saphira lowered her head. "I don't have a family. It's been me as long as I can remember. I guess I had someone in the beginning. I guess we all do. But I don't now." I knew that was her version of 'sorry about your sister and sorry I can be snail brain'. Saphira didn't seem like that dragon to open up. She did when she needed show trust, to say things she couldn't actually say. Her voice didn't sound so much sad though, more... longing. I looked at Abyss' face and immediately recognized the expression. "Don't you dare Abyss. Stop that." "Stop what?" She asked surprised. "Stop thinking you've had it easy. Anyone who's lost anyone  they care about hasn't got it easy. Sometimes family is all you've got. And you've still yet to run out. You got us- well me. Let's let Bluey here decide if she finally wants to try the whole family thing." Crimson gave an expecting glance at Saphira, ignoring the shocked Abyss who couldn't seem to form a sentence. " On one condition, never call me 'Bluey' again." "Got it. So, ready for a second family till we find your old one?" Crimson asked turning back to Abyss. "I think I am. Wait, did you just say 'find my old family'?" Crimson just smiled knowingly. "Okay, who wants dinner?"

A/N
Look! My first ever authors note! As in ever. Anyway, picture  at the top is a picture of Crimson I lazily colored twenty minutes ago before I wrote this chapter. I'll post a much better picture of a better non-color drawing of her in my art book once I convince my mom to let me use her phone. The pictures so bad because my kindle doesn't have a back facing camera and my den has horrible lighting. So yeah. See you later (okay, not actually see but you know what I mean) . Oh! And it SUMMER! More writing time! YAY!!! Bye!