The Phantom Dragon

Jewel watched as her mother flew away. She was heading into the kingdom for a market trip and to take care of some business. She did this often, Jewel never coming with her. Jewel couldn't even fly, her mother refused to teach her. She said she risked making Jewel mad one day and Jewel flying off and getting hurt or in trouble. They're cave was on a ledge and she couldn't get down without flying. The only time she ever came down was when her mother let her. Whenever her mother left, she attempted to teach herself to fly. She leaned forward feeling the wind on her face. She wanted to fly so badly. She halfway unfolded her wings. Of course she wasn't about yo leap of the cliff; she didn't want to become flat because she couldn't learn to fly in a matter of seconds. Most Skywings should be flying by now. Emphasis on the word should. And Skywings. She wasn't an ordinary Skywing by any standards. "Why don't you just fly?" Someone asked. "AHH!" She was nearly scared of the cliff. She whipped around. "Who was that?" She called. "Nope over here." Off to her left. No one there. She lashed out at the empty air. "Whoa there!" The voice nearby, she almost hit it. "Show yourself!" She growled. "Ok, ok. Calm down." The air in front of her melted into a pale yellow dragon. He was strange with bright eyes, the colors ever shifting, creating a mesmerizing effect. He had the fin of a Sandwing with the head shape to. He was wiry and elegant while still being slightly unnerving. He had a intertwining black diamond pattern down his back and a barb on his tail. He gave off a mysterious air like she imagined a Nightwing might have. "Who are you?" She asked, suspicious. "My name's Phantom." He said it like it should impressive. She snorted. "Well what's your name?" He challenged, offended. "Jewel." "Well yes, that's original." He snorted. "Bet you've never met another dragon named Phantom." "I've never met another dragon period." She told him. "Well that sucks. Why?" "My mom won't teach me to fly and, if you haven't noticed, I can't get down any other way." She retorted. "You're a Skywing. You were born to fly. Why won't she teach you?" He said, appalled. "I know! Some stupid, pointless reason!" She felt a rant coming on soon. "Why don't you let me teach you?" He offered. She eyed him suspiciously. She didn't really know him but... he intrigued her. On one talon, he was probably a year older than her, around five, and definitely knew how to fly by now. Then she would finally be able to fly. On the other talon, she didn't know him. At all. Then again the need to fly seemed to outweigh that right now. Ok, not really, but she really wanted to fly. "Sure. But my mom would freak if she found you so, you know, if she comes back pull you disappearing act." He rolled his eyes. "The one thing I seem to be good at." He joked. "Come on, I'll show how to fly. First..."

A/N

The eye above is kinda how I picture Phantoms eyes but with the colors constantly shifting position. Found the picture on Pinterest, not my own picture.