Luka and the Icewings

Saphira seemed to have calmed down on the emotional scale, and was a bit easier to handle now, not that Abyss particularly noticed. She was still wondering over what Crimson said. About her finding her  family, and about her sister. She'd never considered how long Crimson had  been alone, or even if she'd lost anyone. Overlooking others could be a fatal flaw. Abyss didn't think they would be able to find her mother, and she really didn't want to find her father. Why does it always feel like she knows something I don't? Abyss wondered. She realized she wandered into the cave that Crimson slept in. Oops. Besides the piling of plants to make a patch to sleep on, it was mostly empty. Well she thought it was empty. She noticed something in the corner and approached carefully. She didn't know why. It's not like something was going to attack her. She paused mid-step when she realized what she was looking at. A skull. A real dragon skull. Abyss moved closer to the skull. It was a dragonet skull. Maybe a little bigger than Crimson. She was slowly reaching her talons out when someone walked in, causing her to jump. She turned around to see Crimson behind her. "I'm sorry! I wasn't- I mean... I wasn't snooping!" She  blurted. Instead of looking angry or annoyed Crimson only looked amused. "I know, no need to sound so panicked. I don't bite. Normally." "Comforting." Abyss told her. Crimson laughed. "I guess your wondering why I have a skull in my room. And no, I'm not secret murderer." She picked up the skull. "It's a mask, but it's real." She started to explain. "I'm more curious about who it is." Abyss pointed out. "It's my brothers." "I thought your sister was your only family?" She questioned. "She was. This was my twin brother. He died in the egg before we hatched." "Why's his skull so big?" She asked. "He was an animus. I don't know how, but it's  enchanted. It's always grown with me, always stayed big enough to wear as a mask. Always big enough to protect me." Wow, Abyss seriously felt like her family problems were small now. This just kept getting sadder and sadder for Crimson, although Abyss knew she didn't want pity. "I'm sorry, I wish you could have met him." "Luka." Crimson corrected. "What?" "We- I - named him Luka. He still deserved a name. It's Luka." She told her. There's so much more to you than meets the eye. Abyss thought. Of course then Saphira, being the dragonet she was, chooses that moment to pop in behind Abyss. "HEY GUYS, THERE'S SOMEONE OUTSIDE!" She yelled, even though they were only a wingspan away. An unsuspecting Abyss was nearly scared out of her scales. "AHH! Don't do that!" Saphira shrugged. "Sorry. Anyway, seriously, come on!" She pushed. "Keep your scales on, we're coming. And please stop yelling. Do you want to bring the caves down?" Crimson said  taking the lead. It was apparent long before they reached the entrance though, that it was not as much of an emergency as Saphira had made it out to be.

"GET ME OUT!"

"I'm trying! Will you stay still?!"

"I am still!"

"Stay stiller!"

"That's not a word!"

There were two Icewings outside, one of which had managed  to get stuck in a tree. Her tail was caught between a fork with the ice spines stuck deep in the bark. The other Icewing was trying futility to pull her out by her talons. Crimson closed her eyes and pressed her talons against her head. She had the counting-backwards-from-100 face. She sighed. "Let me deal with this." She flew up behind the not stuck Icewing. The female one looked up, saw Crimson, and yelled in surprise. She  slipped, dragging the other Icewing with her. He ended up strung on a branch by his stomach and she fell down, banging her head on the trunk and hanging upside down by her tail. "Ow!" She cried  when she hit her head and the other one just groaned.  Saphira burst out laughing and even Abyss was trying not to laugh. "ITS NOT FUNNY!" She shrieked. "Yes... it... is!" Saphira said between gasps. Crimson looked like like she seriously could not believe it was possible for any dragon to actually get in this situation. "How did you even do this?" Crimson asked in exasperation as she started clawing bark away from around her tail. "That's what I want to know." The male Icewing said. "I don't know!" The female cried. Crimson had finally given up on clawing and started carefully burning the tree away. "Stop moving if you want to keep you tail!" Crimson finally got her free and she crashed to the ground. "Ow. Again." "That's what you get for getting stuck in a tree." The other Icewing said. "Um... who are you?" Abyss questioned at the same time as Saphira said "Your welcome." Abyss glared at her. "Oh, right. Sorry. Thanks. I'm Crystal and he's Frigid." The female Icewing -Crystal- introduced. "I'm Crimson, the blue Skywing is Saphira, and that's Abyss." Abyss waved at them as she was introduced. "What are Icewing dragonets doing all the way out here? Isn't it a little warm?" The Ice wings shared a glance and she was pretty sure they were having a glance argument. She took the chance to get a better look at them. Frigid was surprisingly wiry and nimbly built with startlingly bright blue eyes. His claws weren't ridged either. Definitely a hybrid... or a really deformed Icewing. Crystal lived up to her name, she looked like a dragon made of living ice. She was beautiful with silver scales around eyes, under her wings, and dusting her tail. Her eyes were silvery, like the moon reflected on a diamond or crystal. Her name was certainly fitting. Probably a hybrid to. Slightly abnormal build as well. "Well we-" Crystal started but was interrupted by Abyss yelling "HYBRIDS! Your hybrids running from the hunt!" Everyone turned to look at her like she'd started singing and sharks swam out of her ears. "Uh, sorry." She said, embarrassed, shuffling her claws. "But I'm right. Aren't I?" "How did you..." Crystal seemed completely baffled. Frigid only seemed impressed. "Probably the same way we did. Now can I ask, what are all of you doing here? You seem like an odd bunch to be traveling together?" "You sound like a scroll." Saphira said bluntly. "Thanks for that Saphira. We're not traveling, we're staying nearby. We're working together to survive and avoid the hunt." Crimson told him. "You all keep saying the hunt? Are you talking about the search for hybrids?" He asked. "Pretty much, yeah. We call it the hybrid hunt." Crystal seemed less interested in that and more in the 'staying nearby'. "Wait, staying nearby? As in living somewhere in one spot all the time? With food?" "Crystal!" Frigid scolded. "What?" "Yes that's what I mean." Crimson told them laughing. "See you later Frigid, I'm movin in with them. They've got food. And aren't sleeping on branches." Crystal told him, marching over to Saphira. "What?" "I welcome anyone who can eat as much as me. Welcome to the club!" Saphira greeted, wrapping a wing around her. The look on Frigids face was priceless. Both Crimson and Abyss were laughing hysterically. "No offense Frigid, but your a horrible hunter." Crystal told  him with a completely straight face. "I am not that bad!" Abyss couldn't stop laughing. Crimson pulled herself together long enough to say "Your both welcome to stay if you like."  "Is that an honest offer from non-psychopaths?" Frigid asked. Crystal rolled her eyes. "Should I do that whole creepy, 'if I wanted you dead you would be already' thing or just say yes?" Crimson responded. "Point taken." he said. "I should hope so, or I just wasted my sarcasm."