| Rose - Steve Harrington¹ |

Name: Rosalie Gallagher

Warnings: drug use, abusive alcoholic dad

Word Count: 1.7k

***

Part 1 (season 2)

I walked through the halls of Hawkins high, all eyes on me. I paid no attention to them. Even if I wanted to though, I couldn't. I was too hopped up on the capful of pills I had taken that morning. I honestly forgot what I was doing. It took running into someone to snap me back to reality.

"Woah, hey, are you okay?" I hadn't even realized I was laying on the floor. I only groaned in response and the blurry person crouched down to my level. "Rose?" They called.

I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again, then saw Steve Harrington of all people.

I wasn't very fond of him, given his whole "King Steve" era. We were best friends when we were kids but then he let his ego get the best of him. Though people said he'd changed, I didn't believe it.

I pushed myself up from the floor. "I'm fine," I mumbled, brushing past him to my locker.

I put my things in my locker and turned my head when I heard a girl shriek. Steve had spooked his girlfriend, Nancy Wheeler. I rolled my eyes at the couple and shut my locker.

As I walked to my first class of the day, an orange piece of paper was shoved into my chest, causing me to stumble back. "Get sheet faced", the paper read. It was for a Halloween party that night. I folded it up and slid it into the back pocket of my jeans, continuing my way to class.

-+-

School had ended and it was time to go to my least favorite place on earth. Home.

My dad was a drunk and my mom died the year prior, leaving me to fend for myself and my little brother, Freddy. He was 13 years old though so I didn't have to worry about him too much. I would use the disability checks my dad would get to pay the bills and buy groceries. I didn't feel bad, knowing he would have just used it on booze.

I also worked at a gas station and whatever money I earned there, I would spend on pills. It's funny how a just few small colorful capsules could make all my problems fade away.

I pushed open the door and rushed to my room, trying to hide before my dad got home from the bar. I shut myself in my room and did my homework for the day before collapsing on my bed.

I dozed off for a few hours and when I woke up it was almost time for Tina's party. The only reason I was going was to get away from home. Otherwise, I hated parties.

I slid on a tight red dress and a headband with devil horns on it. I know it was basic but again, I didn't even care about the party so it didn't matter to me. Plus it was all I had.

Tina's house wasn't too far from mine. It was only about a 20-minute walk. So it was bearable.

I shoved my way through the crowd of already drunk teenagers and made my way to the very cause of their drunkenness. I grabbed a red cup and filled it with the punch, tossing a few pills back with it. I looked around for a minute before my eyes locked with an unfamiliar man. He had a curly ginger mullet and a leather jacket with no shirt underneath. He looked me up and down then sent me a smirk. I quickly looked away, not giving him any attention. Which he didn't appreciate as he walked up to me.