Chapter 8 Holbrook

Muse Paisley

I sat in Mason's assigned narration booth in the lead Muse recording chair, and I saw Holbrook trapped in a cell with Mason. She was a friend to the chosen ones, Zander and Gloria.

Mason wasn't destined to meet her. He was supposed to die.

Why was she a prisoner? This was wrong. I hate this surprise. A masked shadow lurked next to the cell. He wasn't going to kill her, was he?

"Look out!" I screamed again, but she couldn't hear me.

No, I broke a rule and would write that down, but not how I know Holbrook.

Mason's eyes opened. He bolted off the floor and pointed at the man with the weapon.

"Cultist, he's a cultist," Mason said.

The man fired at Holbrook first, and then at Mason.

He wanted them both dead.

She fumbled for a hidden laser gun, firing at the man, but he slipped away. He pulled off his mask, revealing Tolbert's face. Why would he try to kill her, of all people?

She hid her weapon and placed her fingers towards her lips. "Don't tell anyone I have my laser gun. If you betray me to the cult, I'll find out."

Mason sat on one of the empty mattresses. "I won't, but why was I drugged and thrown into a cell? Did the cult kidnap us? What games are they playing?"

"We are on a penal transport ship for our own protection." She smiled at him. "Thanks for the warning. We're lucky we didn't wake anyone, but they all took their night meds. There are guards that are supposed to be around, but I'd do better protecting my dad and myself." She pointed at the sleeping general.

"What? He's way too young to be your dad."

"Too bad you aren't nicer to me, or I would've given you my name." She winked at him and fell asleep.