Chapter 34 Outside

Muse Paisley

I made it to Zander's empty Muse room, and I turned on the feed when I sat down. Everything came into focus.

Zander, Kay, and little Jake stood outside Charlotte. Guards approached them. Another door formed.

"It's deceptive," Charlotte whispered. "If cultists come, it can open and you can hide in my walls. I am sorry, but don't have the power to eject everyone from me."

"Thank you, Miss Charlotte," Jake said.

Kay called the new king, but Zander's brother didn't answer. "Pick up," she whispered.

"Why would Nickel do that to me?" Zander asked.

"You're an idiot and jerk," Charlotte said.

"Play nice," Jake said.

"Sorry, Jake. Um... I need to go watch the others," Charlotte said.

"I'm confused as well. Nickel rescued Jake for me. She begged me to fib about the real reason I lost my hand. She could be playing games."

"How did you lose your hand?" Zander asked.

"Mom won't tell anyone," the young king finally answered.

"Why did you authorize this sting?" his mother asked.

"Mom, I'm the fake leader of sixteen planets, and I'm stepping up."

"I understand." Kay narrowed her eyes and adjusted her crown. "In that case. Arrest my ex while he is doing one of his PR tours that no one watches. Tell him that I found my son. We're going to send his troops to the other side of the force field and lock them out until they behave."

"Mom, I can't. He was stabbed in his bed. It's why I kept you in the dark."

"Why was Granddad bad?" Jake asked. The boy suddenly seemed mature for his age.

"He isn't your granddad exactly. My father forced me to go through a couple of political marriages after my mother died. My ex wasn't as evil at first, but it wasn't my choice to marry him. I'm sad that he'll never become a better person."

Guards and officers surrounded them. "We'll take you all home."

"No, I'll wait here with an officer," Kay said. "Take Zander and my grandson to my house and protect them."