Chapter 29 Everyone is a Prop

Muse Silver-Green

Paisley awoke from a short nap and glanced at my notes. "I'll relieve you."

"No, it's too stressful for you, and it's my hours," I said.

"Green, I'm not leaving. Kay finally showed proof that Jake was no longer locked inside a for-profit orphanage. It's unfair that I'm unable to read Mason's thoughts unless he invites me. He and Holbrook know who Deb is, and they are playing games with us. I don't know who the killer is, but it's not Dina."

Moving images of our creatives became clearer. Zander collapsed to the floor of his penal ship, hyperventilating. Blood seeped through his uniform. His face transformed into a bunny, and his foot thumped.

Overpowering aromas from the room entered my nose. I could smell the blood, and Paisley gagged a little, left the room, and came back with a washed face.

I poured Paisley a cup of mint tea. "Don't worry, and it's a minor injury."

"Would it be okay if I could hear your thoughts?" I asked Mason.

"No, that might tip off Quin's killer and Deb," he said softly.

"Oh, you're talking to your Muse," Zander said. "Are you a chosen one?"

"I'm more like Holbrook." Mason helped Zander to a wooden chair and attended to his wound.

"We're hosting a potluck within Charlotte, and you are not invited for safety reasons," Holbrook said.

Zander stood up and sighed. "I need to show you the theater."

Holbrook shook her head, 'no.' "I'll help Mason. Dad will take care of you. He won't attack you again. Kay is coming with your son. But don't let anyone else on the ship. Not even Nickel."

"No, I'll call Zander's father, and he'll want to stay," General Allen said.

"Are you sure he'll forgive me?" Zander asked. "Nickel, your mom, and Gloria are scheduled to meet you there for the theater repairs and cleaning, and I planned to supervise."

Holbrook checked the clock. "We'll check out the theater and head to Three Leaf Village to see if they are ready to sell supplies. Gloria's father has more advanced 3D printers for paint. Even poor quality paint was 700 credits in the company store."

They waited for Zander's dragon father, who came and held Zander as he wept with joy. Zander transformed into a human again, but he formed dragon wings. "Lace and I have been visiting Babette Nickel hourly while you visited your brother. The communication in The Three Leaf Village is terrible. I need to warn your mother. I just realized that Babette could have tried to hurt Holbrook on purpose."

Mason pointed his finger. "Don't even tell my mom. You wanted me because I'm excellent at mysteries, and Holbrook and I only have three suspects left. Well, she might shoot Nickel."

An hour later, Mason and Holbrook walked into the theater.

"According to the inspector's claim, most of the issues are cosmetic." Mason examined the theater doors. He avoided specific spots and decorative plates that appeared to look newer than the rest of the tiles.

Holbrook mimicked his odd movements.

They hopped over odd metal plates decorated with paintings of blue and white roses.

The theater was fairly new but covered in graffiti, and its once grand chandelier swayed. Pay Us More was scrawled over the walls. Torn gold curtains flapped over the trash-covered stage. Scents of rotted trash wafted through my lungs. There was no seating or tables. But the balcony had fine velvet chairs.