Chapter 13 The Rag-And-Bone Merchant

Muse Paisley

Mason slipped out of his chains and stood up, but none of the guards reacted. General Allen mouthed the words, 'I'll be okay.'

He walked over to Zander. "Why don't we calm down?"

I honestly didn't expect this, and it wasn't the life I signed up to watch or the death fate planned.

There is nothing worse than surprises. I've fled surprise birthday parties, even ones meant for others.

Another of my supervisors walked into my booth. "Stop being spiteful because you were removed from your old assignment. Stop your malicious compliance."

"No, I'm like that with everyone," I said.

Mason whispered to me. "See, I told you."

"Oh, shut up," I shouted back.

My supervisor left me alone, and I smelled Henry's caustic body spray and gagged. He must have used three bottles of Ocean Musk. I refocused on my task. I had this wrong. Most sentient lifeforms received a Muse for their births. Apollo rotated substitutes for their weddings and funerals.

Potential writers, creatives, and inventors received their own. Chosen ones and their close loved ones received more in-depth narration. This is not to be confused with hearing voices. A Muse never suggests violent acts. We're more there to guide creatives or superheroes through their destinies. We can be opinionated, but we want enjoyable writing, art, and a safe galaxy.

There had to be a reason my superiors decided to watch Mason for so long. Mason doesn't listen. I say his writing isn't good enough. He writes anyway and then rewrites it. What if he was special? What if I was wrong about his musicals? Three were popular, but even the smaller plays were performed regularly due to Mason offering cheap rights. He told me he was cursed. What if I am too? And I'm positive the new Apollo kept my notes from the other narrators. He doesn't trust me.

My mind drifted back, and I realized that someone was meant to die.

Mason's eyes didn't leave Zander.

"Don't try to save me," General Allen whispered. "Zander is on our side."

Zander's face changed into a bunny. "You're all about to watch Deb-Dagger's spy become a corpse."

"This isn't happening." Henry closed his eyes and sang a rock song badly.

"Shut up, or I'll shoot you." A masked guard kicked Henry into his seat.

I could tell the man was Tolbert. He was altering his voice. It was not the booming voice he was famous for. I wondered to myself. Why are select guards masked, and why did they allow Tolbert to sneak on their ship?

Mason spoke, but I knew he was speaking, at least in part, to me. "The masked guards are to protect specific agents from being identified by prisoners. Usually, they're unmasked and counted daily, but Tolbert is on the ship."

"That is impossible." Zander hopped as he walked. His human face twitched as if he were still a bunny.

"Please don't shoot my dad." Holbrook loosened her harness.

"We'll hold off executions," Zander said.

"You have been yapping for years." General Allen quickly unlatched his chains and harness, whipped out a hidden laser gun, shot through the force field, and fired at Zander three times.

Zander fired a laser into General Allen until his face didn't move.

Commander Nickel rushed into the cabin. Her entire body trembled. "He might have been a traitor, but you didn't have to shoot him."

"Zander, you let Tolbert in." Holbrook trembled and leaped over Commander Nickel. "You murdered my dad."

"He shot at me first," Zander said.

"Nice try, rat. I'm going to kill my little girl." Tolbert shot at Holbrook and removed his mask. "You mean nothing to me. I hate traitors and rats."

Tolbert fired at her again and touched an electric device on his wrist.

General Allen opened his eyes and sat up. "We set a little trap. Your little space bubble ship has been boarded. Holbrook and I couldn't have recognized you. All you needed to do was not bother us." He stretched. I honestly didn't expect Kitten Allen to be alive.