Chapter 28 The Meddlers

Muse Paisley

"Dad, you're going to break his arm! Zander and I have always annoyed each other. He's goading you into a fight because he is broken."

"I want my Jake!" Zander kept screaming about his son. "They will teach him that I'm the enemy because I didn't sell enough supplements and lip balm."

Mason and Holbrook separated the two men.

"Holbrook and I've lied to you. I've known her for her entire life. We grew up in the same corporate orphanage. When I turned 18, I married my only girlfriend, and they only bent the adoption age for us because we're related. I took night courses while I worked in the kitchen of the dragon's solar ship."

"Holbrook told me, but why the secret?" Zander asked.

"Because I couldn't save my older sister, cousins, and brothers. They vanished into the system, and most ended up in prison or dead. Holbrook and I are the only ones out of our family who survived." General Allen sat down. "Sorry, I love you, Zander."

"I love you too." Zander hugged him and collapsed. "Rob set up the housing. I didn't. He still wants us together. I'm this close to telling him I used to be a cultist." He rolled his eyes at the general. "Daddy's little princess and I have always been toxic together. I'm not looking for anyone and only want custody of my son back. A corporation can't hug him at night."

"Mr. Salamander is a meddler and a terrible matchmaker. Dad, leave Zander alone. The agency allows me to place a tent on their lawn."

Mason's voice shook. "Zander, could I stay with you? I refuse to stay with my mom. She meddles with my love life."

"Part of the house has two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a private entryway. The room isn't easily accessed and has a beefy security system. Your mom wanted it, but I'll give the room to you to make up for the agency kidnapping you," Zander said.

"No, he needs separate housing," Holbrook said. "We are tailing her to see what she says to Nickel."

"Babette Nickel is trustworthy. Okay, Mason, you and I will stay on my ship, but we need to pick up prisoners in two months. I'm not sure my dragon family wants to see me," Zander said.

"I'm sure they'd be thrilled," Holbrook said. "But please avoid Nickel for now."

"Zander, we need to talk alone." Mason guided Zander out of the room into an empty cell. He wrapped his arms around Zander, so he couldn't move, but not so tight he'd pass out or stop breathing.

"You're not going to beat me up, are you?" Zander asked. His eyes pleaded for mercy. "Holbrook and I were engaged because the cult asked me to pick her."

"Zander, I'm preventing you from drugging me again."

"When I was assigned to, I chickened out. You're stronger than Allen. The only reason your mom suggested the knockout meds was because no way could either of us drag you here."

"I was already helping her. You're also being drugged." Mason let him go.

"Am I?" Zander asked.

"Yes, you're in danger, and this isn't about Holbrook. It's about protecting you. Why did you join the cult? I won't judge you. Your Muses were traitors."

"Yes, but that wasn't the issue. I hated my powers." Zander stood up straight. "I had believed I was a dragon, and suddenly my identity changed. No one understands. I'm not a human that shifts into a dragon, but a dragon who shifts into other forms. Do you understand the pain of being stuck in a body that isn't mine?"